Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Garden Pond

Options
  • 17-05-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,

I am looking for advice, i am new to the gardening game...having only just acquired one.

I have a small pond (3m across) in the back garden of my semi d house, and there is a lot of algae in it. Now there are no fish are any creatures in it, i have tried removing the algae by hand but it keeps coming back. The only way i can top the water level up is by the garden tap, or any rain that may fall.

what can i do to remove the algae permanently or at least keep it under some sort of control. There are one or two plants in it and some 'pond weed', for want of a better explaination.

Thanks in advance,

freddy15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi,
    Algae is a plant and like any plant it needs food and light. So to get rid of it, you need to do something about that.

The best way is to plant water plants. covering around a quarter or a third of the surface with water lilies will reduce the amount of light getting through and then plant some oxygenating plants. Algae can't stand oxygen and Something that produces oxygen and eats the food that Algae live on will quickly kill off any algae in the pond. Over winter and early spring, you will still get some, but as the plants start to grow again in Spring, they will quickly reduce the algae.

Here's a link to a site for ponds and a list of oxygenating plants...
    http://www.garden-pond-plants.com/oxygenators.htm
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Cheap way that works is to get some barley straw from a pet shop (its used as bedding for rabbits and such like). Pack a couple of large handfuls into old nylon tights and sink into the pond. As the straw decomposes it releases bacteria which counteracts the algae. I have a pond 8m by 4m and this works well for me. Its way cheaper than buying all the plants needed to cover a large area. You will need to give it time to work though...it takes about 3 weeks for the straw to start doing it's work.

Advertisement