Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Making a fiberglass mould of a spoiler

Options
  • 17-05-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into making a miuld of a spoiler for my car. The spoilers are very hard to get, and expensive if they do come up for sale.

I've never done this before and not a clue where to start with this. The spoiler in question is on a car and would have to still look good after the mould is made.

Anyone any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Best bet it to talk to wither Kema craft in Clane or The Canoe Centre in Palmerstown, both build canoes and would be used to the re-moulding process you want.

It is no way easy and you could ruin your spoiler if not done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Any chance of ruining the spoiler and it's a no go, spoiler isn't on my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

jozi wrote: »
    Any chance of ruining the spoiler and it's a no go, spoiler isn't on my car.

It'll ruin the paintwork.I used to do this before with spoilers/skirts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

No way of protecting it? Masking it of or cling film maybe? Prob won't leave the mould smooth but that can be sorted after I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely something like a spoiler could be copied using a double process where the original could be protected & a rough impression taken. Then from a smoothed version of the rough template, a proper mold could be made without worying about the surface of the 'original'. Its not as if it needs to be very accurate as its not being lined up with other parts like a patern body panel would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement