Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared........

Options
  • 17-05-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I just found out on friday that I'm 8 wks pregnant :eek:
    I kinda knew but went to my GP to confirm it. I'm completely freaked out, I'm 28 and being going out with my partner for the last 5yrs so as the doc said it is the next logical step............
    I smoke and I cant seem to stop, i think its cause im so worried and i calms me down but then i get upset for smoking.:(:(:( I've switched to decaf coffee which is a major thing for me.
    The other thing is my partner is afraid to sleep with me cause he read on the internet that it could lead to twins?????????????????????
    sounds completely far fetched :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

First of all, congrats!

Second of all, you know the smoking has to go. Easier said than done I know, but that should be your number one priority now. The coffee, unless you're on 10 cups a day or something, isn't as big a deal at all.

Had to laugh at your partner - where do they get these notions?! Doesn't sound like a very scientific website. Mine is convinced he'll hurt the baby if he goes near me:rolleyes:

It's hard to get your head around, but I'd really recommend buying a good no-nonsense book like "What to expect when you're expecting" and going through it. It goes through your pregnancy week by week and answers lots of questions that you might feel silly asking.

Welcome to the club!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Getting pregnant is a scary thing! Even when you're trying for a baby, seeing that little positive test can freak you out!

I can't stress enough how important it is to give up smoking. Smoking can affect the efficiency of the placenta which in turn can lead to complications such as premature labour and a small for dates baby (I know the prospect of a small baby is appealing but smoking isn't a nice or fair way to get one!) The last thing you want is your baby having health problems, and the last thing your baby will want is its mammy having health problems! I know its alot easier said than done, but speak to your GP, I'm sure she can recommend some giving up strategies!

As for the stress, would you try hypnotherapy, aromatherapy, or massage? All can be very beneficial in pregnancy! Yoga after 14 weeks is also a great stress reliever as well as being great for developing coping strategies for labour and also for the bonding process. If you join a prenatal yoga class, you'll also get to meet other pregnant women and pregnant womem love to chat about being pregnant, so you might find comfort in chatting to people and finding out that they have the same concerns as you.

Hope this helps and congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

HI scaredmommy..

as other ladies said being pregnant can make you stress out.
    My husband and I got lucky and get pregnant quite quick, and despite the joy we were horrified. How it is going to be, then I went though a stage where I was upset that the baby takes all my minerals and vitamins away, and what my body does to me. but after 3 months I started to enjoying it and now when I'm 30 wks pregnant, can not wait for the little one to be welcomed.
    it is normal, but make sure if you have any bad thoughts go to your GP and share it.

make sure you eat properly (as I said baby takes everything out of your body) maybe go for pregnancy supplements. I had to as my hair was going out like crazy, and if you smoke try to stop, as your bones will be affected twice (by cigarettes and baby)

take care of yourself.
    all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congrats ScaredMommy :D:D:D

I was the same, even though we were planning baby, it was still a scarey moment when we got the positive result :o
    Please please please give up the cigarettes straight away, I'm sure you don't need to have it explained to you the untold damaged you are doing to your unborn baby :(

Ask your gp can you use the Nicorette mini's, I know several people that sucessfully quit smoking using them. Not sure if they're safe to take during pregnancy so definitely consult GP first.

Tell your partner to stay away from the internet til ye get a good book that explains the facts or he'll have himself freaked out altogether!
    There can be some seriously misleading information out there :eek:

& tell him sex is perfectly safe, he will not prod the baby while doing it. As a midwife told me, much as the man in our lives would like to believe, they're not THAT big! & their appendage will most definitely not reach anywhere near the baby!

Try to stop worrying and start enjoying your pregnancy :) you have an exciting journey ahead of you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The other thing is my partner is afraid to sleep with me cause he read on the internet that it could lead to twins?????????????????????
    sounds completely far fetched :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    My wife is currently expecting twins, and trust me, that is not how you get them :))

Either two eggs were released, or they weren't. And if they weren't, then you're not having twins, unless you had the one egg that split giving you identical twins. Both of those would have happened 8 weeks ago.

Either way, whatever your partner does now isn't going to affect it :)

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

A great tip: read the book Hypnobirthing from Marie Mongan.

The first chapters are a wonderful insight of the reasons why women have been conditioned for many centuries (since 2nd century after C with introduction of the famous Curse of Eve) to fear their pregnancies, and therefore creating for themselves unnecessary complications and emotional distress... while there is a way to avoid all this fear business!

A long time ago, giving birth was a celebration of life and midwifes were considered as healers (which got them into trouble later on…)

It’s quite fascinating how societal influences can act on such a deep and wide level.

I hope you get great benefit from this book and that you manage to experience a relaxed and happy pregnancy.

Advertisement