Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips CoolSkin HS8040

Options
  • 17-05-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Hi, I originally posted this in facial hair, but maybe someone here can answer too?

Thinking of getting one of these sahvers, but I have a few queries for anyone that has used one:

1. Do you have to use the conditioner? It seems like a great option, and maybe once I try it I'll never look back. But I'd be concerned that it would be an on-going expense. I use a pre-shave balm at the moment with my Remington, and that works fine.

2. Do you have to use the Nivea conditioner? If there are cheaper options on the market, I might decide to keep on using the conditioner system.

3. Is there anything about the shaver that would have put you off buying it had you known before?

Thanks,

Wayne
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think I have the 8040, but they're all effectively the same shaver in that range.
    1. Do you have to use the conditioner? It seems like a great option, and maybe once I try it I'll never look back. But I'd be concerned that it would be an on-going expense. I use a pre-shave balm at the moment with my Remington, and that works fine.
    No, you don't. I often use it without any conditioner or water at all and it works just fine.
    2. Do you have to use the Nivea conditioner? If there are cheaper options on the market, I might decide to keep on using the conditioner system.
    I'm not aware of any alternatives, but if you shop around you can get the Nivea stuff dead cheap. I just took delivery (today) of this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002EIHO2I/ref=oss_product
    20 quid, and there's at least 6 months supply in that.
    3. Is there anything about the shaver that would have put you off buying it had you known before?
    No, actually. Easily the closest shave I've ever gotten from an electric shaver, as good as a manual razor most of the time.

It has a beard trimmer on it which I use a lot for a quick shave - trims the hair down just enough so that you're not scruffy looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Hi, I originally posted this in facial hair, but maybe someone here can answer too?

Thinking of getting one of these sahvers, but I have a few queries for anyone that has used one:

Thanks,

Wayne
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Hi,

I have a similar shaver, think it may be the same one actually.

-no you don't have to use the conditioner..I generally don't need to use it on my face, but usually do for the neck area as otherwise it gets very irritated

-no, you don't have to use the Nivea conditioner, its fairly easy to crack open the Nivea dispenser and fill with any conditioner. I tried using boots 'essentials' shaving balm, but it tends to thicken up after a while and doesn't flow through the shaver as easily as the nivea one.

Now all I do is squirt a bit of the boots cream on my hands and apply all over the face and neck, and then go ahead and shave as normal..works perfectly and saves a fortune compared to buying the nivea stuff.

The boots one is about 1 euro odd and is 100ml, lasts aaaages.

Its a great shaver though, much better than any other I've used. It's also fully waterproof so easy to wash and can be used while in the shower etc.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Thanks guys

I've just ordered one from ebay, cost €63 incl postage from UK. I know there is a newer model than this, which is why it was good value, but as far as I can see they're identical except for a different colour scheme.

Old one = HS8040
    New one = HS8240 (costs €140 in Argos)

Thanks for the replies.

Hi,

One last quick question.....

Does the nivea stuff act as a "leave-on" conditioner? What I mean is, do you have to wash it off after the shave and apply a moisturiser, or does the nivea stuff act like a moisturiser if you leave it on after the shave?

I use "The Real Shaving Company" stuff at the moment, both a pre-electric balm amd a seperate moisturiser afterwards. I'm just thinking now that if the nivea stuff does both jobs, it's probably cheaper than buying the two seperate creams.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi,

One last quick question.....

Does the nivea stuff act as a "leave-on" conditioner? What I mean is, do you have to wash it off after the shave and apply a moisturiser, or does the nivea stuff act like a moisturiser if you leave it on after the shave?

I use "The Real Shaving Company" stuff at the moment, both a pre-electric balm amd a seperate moisturiser afterwards. I'm just thinking now that if the nivea stuff does both jobs, it's probably cheaper than buying the two seperate creams.

Thanks.
    Yep, you don't wash off the nivea stuff, just leave it, or rub it in if its still visible after the shave, no need to apply a separate moisturiser after.

Honestly though, I used the nivea stuff for a few months, then gave the boots essentials one a try and its just as good..and a fraction of the cost.

Thanks.

That will probably save me money even if I decide to stay with the nivea stuff.

Any issue with hair particles stuck to your face afterwards, though? The shaver doesn't collect cut hair, I'm assuming that it gets stick to the shaver somehow and you just wash it off? But do you ever feel that it has left some cuttings behind, which you then rub into your face?

Thanks for your advice on this.

I've already bought the thing, so I guess I'll find out soon enough when it arrives!

Thanks.

That will probably save me money even if I decide to stay with the nivea stuff.

Any issue with hair particles stuck to your face afterwards, though? The shaver doesn't collect cut hair, I'm assuming that it gets stick to the shaver somehow and you just wash it off? But do you ever feel that it has left some cuttings behind, which you then rub into your face?

Thanks for your advice on this.

I've already bought the thing, so I guess I'll find out soon enough when it arrives!

I fill the sink with hot water, start shaving, and every so often I'll dunk the shaver head(while it's still on) in the hot water, this clears excess moisturiser as well as all the hair particles.

Nope, have never noticed it leaving hair particles on my face.

Thank you.

I find I usually have hair particles all over the place. I will usually have a shower after shaving or if not, I'll clean my face well, otherwise it ends up creating spots.

I do shave quite irregularly though so I would be quite stubbly when shaving.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I find I usually have hair particles all over the place. I will usually have a shower after shaving or if not, I'll clean my face well, otherwise it ends up creating spots.

I do shave quite irregularly though so I would be quite stubbly when shaving.

I'd shave every day when I'm working, but my growth is neither fast nor thick. If I wasn't in the public eye at work, I could easily get away with skipping a day (which I do most weekends). So I might not have the same issue as you.

I shave probably twice a week, anything more and I bleed everywhere (plus the shave is way closer when I leave it longer). So probably very different to what you'll experience :D

I never found the electric yokes much good, I only shave twice a week or so and would be stubbly enough. However the electric Nivea yoke I have I find works better without the moisturiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I have one of these. Find the moisturiser stuff really good, but I never use the razor anymore for 2 reasons;

1. If I leave it more than a day without shaving it's useless and won't give a proper shave.

2. There is nothing for levelling off around the sideburns, which is something most other electric razors have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

is it any good?

pento wrote: »
    is it any good?
    yes, pretty good.

Advertisement