Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairn Cross Puppies

Options
  • 17-05-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello!! Just wondering if anyone can help or steer me in the right direction? Myself and my partner are looking to extend our family by getting a puppy. We are after ideally a cairn terrier ( bitch) croseed with a Yorkshire as my parents have one and she is adorable!! Also willing to take a Cairn with a different cross, does anyone know of any around the place or due soon? We live in Cork but will travel for the dog :)!

Do you know where to find cross Cairn puppies in Munster? 1 vote

Yes -
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 1 vote
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

These crosses usually only happen by accidental matings so the chance of finding one could be slim. Why not just go for a full cairn?

You wont find someone intentionally breeding a cross and if so stay well clear as they arent good breeders. A good, reputable breeder will not deliberately cross 2 diff breeds of dogs together.

Have a look at this link, i know the lady and shes lovely, she might be able to help you out.
    http://www.cadagio.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mikeo004

Thanks Andrea, the reason I am looking for a cross is that for years we have had purebreed cairns but they are often suffering from diseases and skin irritations. Therefore this time I was hoping for a cross. I realise they are rare, but I see on the donedeal.ie site that many other small mix breeds are being advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mikeo004 wrote: »
    Hello!! Just wondering if anyone can help or steer me in the right direction? Myself and my partner are looking to extend our family by getting a puppy. We are after ideally a cairn terrier ( bitch) croseed with a Yorkshire as my parents have one and she is adorable!! Also willing to take a Cairn with a different cross, does anyone know of any around the place or due soon? We live in Cork but will travel for the dog :)!

<SNIP>
    Try the above link

Thanks Andrea, the reason I am looking for a cross is that for years we have had purebreed cairns but they are often suffering from diseases and skin irritations. Therefore this time I was hoping for a cross. I realise they are rare, but I see on the donedeal.ie site that many other small mix breeds are being advertised.

To be honest id be very wary of that site, there are a lot of dodgy breeders and puppy farmers on it and all of those designer breeds and made up names should be stayed well clear of as they are only people breeding them to make a quick buck and line their pockets.
    A lot of those dogs wouldnt be health tested etc so you could end up with a pup that inherits problems from both breeds so be very careful.

andreac wrote: »
    To be honest id be very wary of that site, there are a lot of dodgy breeders and puppy farmers on it and all of those designer breeds and made up names should be stayed well clear of as they are only people breeding them to make a quick buck and line their pockets.
    A lot of those dogs wouldnt be health tested etc so you could end up with a pup that inherits problems from both breeds so be very careful.

No prob, i just thought it might be worth a look and i'm sure not every one on it is bad but u seem to know what u are looking for.
    I know a really good sanctuary that might be worth looking up
    www.madra.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks ami, yep that's exactly what I'm looking for, but we're being quit fussy and looking for a female only, thanks!

Thanks ami, yep that's exactly what I'm looking for, but we're being quit fussy and looking for a female only, thanks!

Just out of curiosity why a female?

That's true Andrea I will only purchase from someone where I can see the mother and father and the grounds where the dog is, also they will have to agree in writing to a vet check as well,thanks for the advice.

No major reason just every dog I ever had has been female so I have a leaning towards them!

No prob, sounds like you have your head screwed on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

andreac wrote: »

Have a look at this link, i know the lady and shes lovely, she might be able to help you out.
    http://www.cadagio.com/
    I second this; I adopted two cairn crosses from her about 2 and a half years ago. She's lovely and very helpful.

Thanks Andrea and Kylith for that link, I have been on and sent an email, so fingers x something might pan out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 JaneyJ

I second (or third) that about cadagio.ie. I adopted a rescue cairn cross from her five years ago and she is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cairns

Hi
    Only seeing this thread now and if you sent me an email I did not reply to apologies as I was on hols at that time. Cairns normally do not suffer from skin conditions a lot depends on what food you are feeding especially if it has colorants.
    Andrea is so right please be extremely careful in cross breeds not only will you inherit from both parents some of the crosses should never be bred together for temperment reasons.

Advertisement