Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have no discipline

Options
  • 17-05-2010 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, regular boardsie but going unreg for this one. Basically I have a problem with discipline in my life, in so far as I have none. This has caused me a number of problems as follows

1. I'm crap with money and am unable to save. As soon as I have money I pretty much spend it. I'm not in debt or anything but I feel I should be saving my money.
    2. I gamble quite a bit which doesn't help the money situation except occasionally I'll win but then I just blow the winnings.
    3. I've no discipline when it comes to food, basically I'll eat whatever I want, whenever I want which has led to me being overweight.
    4. I have a talent for a particular competitive activity but I have no motivation or inclination to train for it which means I just get by with my talent whereas if I got my act together and trained and practiced I could be one of the best in the country.

I know all this makes me sound like a right lazy bastard, and that's actually a pretty accurate summary.

What can I do to get my act together and boost my motivation? I feel time is slipping by me and I'm not doing anything about it. Is there someone I should go and talk to? What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would have always thought of myself as indisciplined.

Recently though I have put it down to two things: Lack of responsibility and fear.

Lack of responsibility for my actions leads me to do things I don't want to do. So, I am now trying to be more responsible about my health, work, money etc... taking responsibility increases my discipline.

Fear:

I am afraid that things might be perfect so I just don't do them. I used to always avoid certain situations as I had a social phobia. I am trying to live a more fearless life at the mo as I want to get more out of it.

As for motivation, well, sometimes action comes first. And that motivates you to do more.

So when you wake up, don't wish yuo were more motivated to get up and train/eat well, get up and without thinking about it go for a jog or a walk, think about how much you're going to do in the next couple of hours. Doing creates momentum.

Work out a food plan - basically try to make most of your meals healthy. So, before you go shopping decide that you're only going to buy food that is healthy. If I don't do that then I end up buying bread, butter and jam and survive on fat, sugar and toast for my breakfast instead of my healthy porridge and banana.

Will you regret not being more competitive at a later stage in your life? Will you look back and wonder "what if?" - well, that could be your motivation.

Advertisement