Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM Dialer

Options
  • 17-05-2010 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have a HKC panel at home, and now that my landline has moved to vodafone and my broadband sucks even more, I want to move to NTL/Chorus, which means no landline.

The panel has a Dialer that's hooked to my current landline and it sends SMS's and notifies a monitoring center.

What is the most cost effect solution that works with NTL/Chorus via VOIP or IP, or a GSM option that would work with a monitoring company and allow sms messages etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have a HKC panel at home, and now that my landline has moved to vodafone and my broadband sucks even more, I want to move to NTL/Chorus, which means no landline.

The panel has a Dialer that's hooked to my current landline and it sends SMS's and notifies a monitoring center.

What is the most cost effect solution that works with NTL/Chorus via VOIP or IP, or a GSM option that would work with a monitoring company and allow sms messages etc ?

Hi brushedmoss,

If you want it to text you you would need a HKC GSM installed, it is expensive but it will also give you remote access to the panel for setting, unsetting. With the HKC GSM installed it will also contact the monitoring station through the dialer you have in the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Get yourself an ATA box to connect to the UPC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jnealon wrote: »
    Get yourself an ATA box to connect to the UPC
    What does that box do?
    AFAIK you can not text from UPC line.

koolkid wrote: »
    What does that box do?

It is an analog telephone adapter. Basically it allows you to use a conventional telephone with the UPC.

In my own opinion self monitoring the alarm with a UPC is not a secure option and would not advise anyone to monitor there alarm this way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I thought he wanted to send text.

• Advertisement

What does that box do?
    AFAIK you can not text from UPC line.
    It's more to do with the hardware you use. The irish manufacturers do not allow you to change SMS protocols and parameters unlike other panels

altor wrote: »
    It is an analog telephone adapter. Basically it allows you to use a conventional telephone with the UPC.

In my own opinion self monitoring the alarm with a UPC is not a secure option and would not advise anyone to monitor there alarm this way.

Are you saying that UPC is unreliable

I think he is saying the modem needs a battery backed up PSU.

I think he is saying the modem needs a battery backed up PSU.

+1

It is a must if anyone is using a electrical powered device to monitor there alarm.

Advertisement