Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payload

Options
  • 16-05-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

We are really confused about payload and I know someone here will be able to break it down to usable language for me. We got camper tested yesterday so had to weigh it. It weighs 3,180 empty. Now the tag under the door has 3,500 and 5500 . The test centre said our payload was 3,500 but we put everything in and weighed again and we weighed 3,680 so overweight straight away ! Is this correct and what significence is the 5,500 under the door. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The 5500 is most likely your gross train weight. That means with your fully loaded 3500 kg camper you could also pull a 2000 kg trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Thanks for reply. So the payload really is only 3500 kg ? My god we need to throw out stuff or not fill the tank fully with water maybe. Will being overweight by this much be a problem abroad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Short answer ...yes, it will be a problem.

French, Spanish and especially Swiss authorities take a very dim view on being overloaded and also do regular controls.
    There is plenty of anectdotary evidence of gear having been left by the roadside or even of passengers flying home by plane after having been stopped and weighed.

Obviously your water is the easist way of losing weight.
    Then again, there might be the possibility of upgrading the GVW of your vehicle and you getting a C1 licence to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Hi we spent six months on the continent last year, and the only hassle we had was with the french customs, looking for drink and cigarettes near the border with Spain.

Advertisement