Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows easy transfer problem

Options
  • 16-05-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

My old laptop (running vista x32) died the other week and will no longer boot or make any response to power , I have since bought a new laptop (windows 7 -x64) and I need to transfer my work files/emails / email folders etc from the old laptops hard drive to the new one as easy as possible and hopefully without having to drag and drop.

I have removed my old hard drive put it in a usb caddy and I can access it from my new machine but I cannot use easytransfer to to move the files as
    I can't boot from the old hard drive to install easytransfer on it ! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions It would be much appreciated?

(I have tried to install easy transfer from the new machine onto the external drive but it will only search the new machines hdisk fopr files to transfer)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Windows Easy Transfer is only set up to work from within a working system - so if you can't log onto the system in question, you won't be able to use it.

You should be able to get at most of the information from your old system by going to your local profile (usually in C:\Users\USERNAME) but you'll have to do it by copying and pasting over individual files & directories.

Advertisement