Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a cold while pregnant

Options
  • 16-05-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any tips on what you can do for a cold while your pregnant? I feel crap and I'm all stuffed up from the neck up. Any ideas?

(obviously not asking for medical advice just some tips and no point going to doc cos I know its not an anti biotic job. thanks!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I've just gotten over the worst cold ever and I'm 22 weeks pregnant. The cold lasted a whole 2 weeks! I just made sure I was well hydrated and took paracetemol. I talked to my doc and she said there's no problem taking 2 paracetemol every 4 hours when you're pg so that's what I did. It was a real strugge the past two weeks as I have a 2 yr old aswell, but he was in creche in the mornings as I work part time. I took a couple of mornings off and stayed in bed but I definitely found this cold harder to shake as I am already very tired with the pregnancy. Plenty of sleep and a big pint of water beside the bed. You can drink it when you get up five times in the middle of the night to go to the loo!

Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Was going to take paracetamol but didn't think it would help with the congestion. Might just give it a blast though. Feel like chopping my head off!! Have a 7 month old and every time I bend down to pick him up my nose runs tmi I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Paracetamol will help with feeling crappy and drink plenty of fluids. Vicks vaporub will help with the congestion, or a couple of drops of olbas oil on a tissue and keep sniffing it.

A spoonful of honey and some lemon juice mixed in wilh boiling water seems to work for me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭carrot_flowers

The best cold remedy I have ever found is APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. It tastes disgusting as feck but it is insanely good for you, and safe for the baby. I used to drink the stuff every day and when I did I NEVER got sick-even hopping plane to plane across America and Europe -and this is coming from someone who has an autoimmune condition (no, not AIDs). The reason is that it alkalizes the blood, and viruses cannot live in that kind of environment. It halts the cold from getting worse and helps you get over it too if you already have one. Another perk is that it helps with junk food cravings. Oh, and the best part? It's only about 2-3 euro for a big bottle of it.

Some other of the better cold remedies I've found include garlic, mushrooms and kiwis (loaded with vit. c-more than 3 oranges' worth in 1!) and to soothe your congestion try inhaling some Olbas oil, which you could find at Boots chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

The best cold remedy I have ever found is APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. It tastes disgusting as feck but it is insanely good for you, and safe for the baby. I used to drink the stuff every day and when I did I NEVER got sick-.

Can you precise how you take it? Is it a soup spoon or half a cup? Is it cold or diluted in hot water? Thanks!

OP, I know what you are going through! 3 weeks to shake my cold this winter... Not fun! Got a lot of hot water with fresh orange and lemon juice and honey. Also, as paracetamol is allowed, the basic Lemsip is ok, but NOT the Lemsip Max

Plus one for Olbas Oil.

Sterimar is a saline nasal spray: 100% natural sea water that really helps to clean your nose.

Good luck and take care!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Try a ginger, honey & lemon drink - just slice some ginger, put a tablespoon of honey in it and a third of a lemon juiced with hot water. Honey is a natural antiseptic, the lemon has vitamin C and ginger has loads of good properties, but I find it helps especially to clear the muggy feeling that you get with a cold. Plus it tastes nice ;)

Can you precise how you take it? Is it a soup spoon or half a cup? Is it cold or diluted in hot water? Thanks!

OP, I know what you are going through! 3 weeks to shake my cold this winter... Not fun! Got a lot of hot water with fresh orange and lemon juice and honey. Also, as paracetamol is allowed, the basic Lemsip is ok, but NOT the Lemsip Max

Plus one for Olbas Oil.

Sterimar is a saline nasal spray: 100% natural sea water that really helps to clean your nose.

Good luck and take care!

'Course. A lot of people put about 2 tablespoonsfull in a cup of hot water and honey to dillute the flavour, but as it has a rather strong taste I personally prefer not to sit around sipping on it. I usually just take one big swig from the bottle, swallow it down and chase it immediately with juice or something.

'Course. A lot of people put about 2 tablespoonsfull in a cup of hot water and honey to dillute the flavour, but as it has a rather strong taste I personally prefer not to sit around sipping on it. I usually just take one big swig from the bottle, swallow it down and chase it immediately with juice or something.

Back when I lived @ home with my dad, he was actually the one who told me about this-even though he didn't do it himself, I had read elsewhere that it was beneficial and when he was mentioning friends doing it I thought I'd give it a shot. When my brother saw me drinking it, I explained and he gave me this look and said "um, are you sure dad isn't just being an arsehole?" ha ha ha. Since then though I've met a good few other people who do it. Its good stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Thanks a mill for the tip!

Thanks a mill for the tip!
    No problemo ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement