Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree Level important

Options
  • 15-05-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

This isn't exactly a problem, more of an inquiry I suppose. I am currently finishing up a degree in IT and am wondering if anybody knows how important the level of that degree is considered when going for job interviews?

I am a little bit worried that I may only leave with a Level 8 pass, as a lot of things have gone against me this year, and I am worried that I will have a lot of trouble finding a job with such a lame degree. Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

You might find that practical experience is more valuable than any degree.. I work in IT and if I was given the choice between someone with a first class honours degree and no experience, and someone with no degree but x amount of experience I would take experience every time.

Even if you could get a bit of unpaid experience that might stand to you... easier said than done, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

I second that experience is more important. I worked in IT for 10 years with an Arts degree - entirely because I'd worked in computers part time in uni and leveraged that into a series of jobs.

Also, network, network, network. If you know people who can get you a foot in the door, use it.

Otherwise, it may hurt. It's a weak economy at the moment, so HR will be getting a flood of CVs - they'll use anything to filter down the numbers to a manageable level. I don't think it'll be ruinous though - IT is still strong, if not as much in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Generally means very little OP. I've been working in software development for some time, and my own degree rating (beyond the fact that I had one at all, which is useful) never raised any interest in interviews or elsewhere. I don't know what a Level 8 pass is, but I have a third class degree - pretty poor by anyone's standards - and it never seems to have attracted any attention either way. About the only aspects of my course that were brought up at all were project work and work placements - anything not involving (semi) real software development isn't of much interest out here in the commercial world.

One exception would be formal graduate programs for large companies (IBM and the likes), where they do tend to filter by a minimum degree grade.

Good grade is still worth having mind you - it's essential for academia/research if you choose to go down that route, and as others mentioned, it may sometimes weigh into decisions if all other things are equal. If you do happen to get a first or thereabouts, by all means play it up, it's not a bad thing and it'll broaden your options, it's just not a big deal if you don't either.

You likely will have trouble finding a job, but that'll be down to lack of commercial experience, not your grades. As per previous posters, experience (that's been translated into technical knowledge and ability) is everything. Anything you can do to remedy that situation, go for it. And as cafecolour points out, networking is very important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Can you apply for extenuating circumstances? It can be difficult to get an interview if your degree level is lower than the competition.

However once you have got a job and prove that you are good at what you do and get the the experience it will mean less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

OP - in my own experience (different industry) the only issue it has made is when I went to do a postgrad - there was a minimum requirement here in Ireland - did my h dip via distance learning at now that it my highest qualification (2:1) and now I can be accepted to do a masters here.

Most places don't ask though for a job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement