Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Screen for 5.25" bay

Options
  • 15-05-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

folks

i want to add an lcd screen to my rig to display Win 7 resource monitor on a screen in my 5.25" bays

I can't for the life of me find a screen,

any ideas ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Moved to Tweaking & Modding.

Old idea, old problems with it.

First, you need a small LCD screen and backlight that has a HDMI or at least composite or S-Video input. If push comes to shove you can make your own backlight out of LCDs and maybe some plexi though.

Second, you need a graphics card that will write to it. Problem is that the two most common ways of sending data to a small LCD - Composite and S-Video - are now obsolete and not seen on most modern video cards.

Third, you need to fit it somewhere. There are no mainstream small panels that are designed to fit anywhere on a PC, so one way or another Dremel Time is mandatory. IIRC the biggest wide-format panel that can be accomodated by dual 5.25" drive bays is 6.2" - a 7" wide-format panel is just a bit too wide and will require surgery on the casefront to widen the bezel around the bays. A panel around or smaller than 6" will need a fitting bezel made for it.

Of course, for basic requirements you can get an iMon drivebay kit for ~€50, but they're very hard to find in Europe nowadays for some reason :( Plus I'm not sure if you can program it in the same way as more primitive drivebay LCD displays :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Celtickiller

Thanks dude, sounds like the best solution for me is to use an old 15" tft and mount it at the back of my pc

Shame though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Heh... if you have a big case and don't need side ventilation try integrating it into the side-panel of the case :D

Check this out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Celtickiller

Now you are just teasing me :(

Advertisement