Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulching with spent compost

Options
  • 15-05-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Could anyone advise whether the following was a correct course of action?

I've just mulched a broad bean and potato raised beds with old peat-free compost to:

Retain moisture
    Add nutrients to the soil
    Put the old compost to some use

I made sure it wasn't piled up around the stems of the broad beans, in order to prevent rot. The potatoes had soil/manure mounded up around them and I just covered the mounds and surrounding soil.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

In general, mulching is a good idea to retain moisture. However, be carefull not to mulch too high since some plants don't like to be burried too deep. Broad beans can be mulshed once they are established and growing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

Don't do what we did and buy spent mushroom compost - you could TASTE the smell from hundreds of yards away!

Advertisement