Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Poly Tunnel...quick question

Options
  • 15-05-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi There,

I have just built a small poly tunnel in my veggie patch. I am using it for lettuce and a fair few herbs etc. Probably tomatoes aswell soon.

I was just wondering if any one knew how well sealed they needed to be. Obviously there needs to be some ventilation but I assume aslo they need to retain heat.

It is pretty small. Abount 7 ft by 2.5 ft.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Marius.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

From what i know, you need ventilation at either end(assuming the prevailing wind is running that direction), generally a full or half size door panel either end.

If the wind is running across the tunnel, some sort of mesh panel should be installed along the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Ventilation is very important, as you'll get all sorts of fungal problems otherwise.

Suggest you take a section about a square foot on each end, and put a framed square window. Cover this with netting if it is low so mice etc can't get in to eat. You can use the plastic you cut to make the window and make a sort of blind which you can open and close. On cold nights close it up, but you should be fine in a few weeks when all frost is gone.

Leave it open during the day, and if you also make the netting like a blind you can leave that open to allow bees in to pollinate.

Advertisement