Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav:Ndrive Uk&Ire €5.99!

Options
  • 15-05-2010 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Good price, grab it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yeah, it's pretty crap. The reason it's so cheap is because it uses out dated maps.

Couldn't find 2 of my nearest shopping centres or my nearest McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty crap. The reason it's so cheap is because it uses out dated maps.

Couldn't find 2 of my nearest shopping centres or my nearest MacDonalds.

It uses Teleatlas mapping which is known to be one of the best. It has version 2.18 2009:12 which would seem to indicate it was last updated in Dec last.. Probably the latest update ..

cojomo2 wrote: »
    It uses Teleatlas mapping which is known to be one of the best. It has version 2.18 2009:12 which would seem to indicate it was last updated in Dec last.. Probably the latest update ..

Can't find nearest shopping centre and McDonalds= extremely crap in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Can't find nearest shopping centre and MacDonalds= extremely crap in my book.

Sure you already know where they are!

Sure you already know where they are!

Well the best way to see how well the sat nav performs is to first use it to a destination you know?

Not to have it even list the only 2 Shopping centres in Laois or even the only McDonalds in Laois in POI is a pretty big omission in my book.

Edit:

Also no listing for the only Cinema in Portlaoise, or Supermacs.

It also doesn't list the Bridge House in Tullamore, or the shopping centre or the cinema there. It does list McDonalds, but not Supermacs.

• Advertisement

Well the best way to see how well the sat nav performs is to first use it to a destination you know?

Not to have it even list the only 2 Shopping centres in Laois or even the only McDonalds in Laois in POI is a pretty big omission in my book.

Edit:

Also no listing for the only Cinema in Portlaoise, or Supermacs.

Well if you are considering a sat nav app for iPhone , this is a bargain, as it uses the same mapping software as many other gps devices, including tom toms..

It seems you have an issue with teleatlas mapping rather than this specefic app. €5.99 vs.€74.99 for the tom tom app=bargain.

I have only tested it in Dublin , with no issues.

Well if you are considering a sat nav app for iPhone , this is a bargain, as it uses the same mapping software as many other gps devices, including tom toms..

It seems you have an issue with teleatlas mapping rather than this specefic app. €5.99 vs.€74.99 for the tom tom app=bargain.

I have only tested it in Dublin , with no issues.

So are you saying that if I was to buy Tom Tom it wouldn't find these POI too?

So are you saying that if I was to buy Tom Tom it wouldn't find these POI too?

Well I'm guessing it wouldn't as it uses the same mapping, I am open to correction though.

Well I'm guessing it wouldn't as it uses the same mapping, I am open to correction though.

I highly doubt that the 2 major towns in the Midlands would be missing such basic information.

It doesn't even list the post office in my town.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

One thing I was wondering about the app, do you have to connect in any way to the internet (I know the maps are installed on the iPhone, but will the GPS need a connection to find my location)?
    I will buy it if I knew you didn't have to connect in any form at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pjjk90 wrote: »
    One thing I was wondering about the app, do you have to connect in any way to the internet (I know the maps are installed on the iPhone, but will the GPS need a connection to find my location)?
    I will buy it if I knew you didn't have to connect in any form at all.
    You don't need to connect to the net if you have a 3GS (or 3G?), as there is GPS built in.

That said, I have found overseas with data roaming turned off it can take a little while to get a location lock (and sometimes will not work at all). It happens much quicker with cell signal.

Doesnt it say it uses live POI from Google search? Or does that only work in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

I highly doubt that the 2 major towns in the Midlands would be missing such basic information.

It doesn't even list the post office in my town.

Move to Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

It uses Teleatlas mapping which is known to be one of the best.

:eek:

What planet are you living on? Teleatlas maps for Ireland are the worst available. Navteq are the most detailed, especially for outside Dublin. I know because I've used both! Stay away from anything teleatlas.

If you are looking for decent maps, consider Navigon. IMO it's the best GPS app for the iPhone. If only it had easier searching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 larooney

Doesnt it say it uses live POI from Google search? Or does that only work in the UK?

It does indeed. You can use the online POI option to search for places not on the nearby POI. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

anyone use CoPilot live? any good?

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Move to Dublin :D

lol:D

Elessar wrote: »
    :eek:

What planet are you living on? Teleatlas maps for Ireland are the worst available. Navteq are the most detailed, especially for outside Dublin. I know because I've used both! Stay away from anything teleatlas.

If you are looking for decent maps, consider Navigon. IMO it's the best GPS app for the iPhone. If only it had easier searching!

I have to agree with this too. After using NDrive and then Navigon, I found Navigon to be superior outside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

Navigon maps are definitely better but on my 3G I find NDrive loads faster and is easier to navigate the menus.

I might need to reinstall Navigon though as I'm having trouble finding any locations with it at the moment, not sure whats wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Thinking about buying this app do you need to have credit in order for it to work? So you can connect to 3G when your out and about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Thinking about buying this app do you need to have credit in order for it to work? So you can connect to 3G when your out and about?

If you're talking about Ndrive, it doesn't connect to 3G. Missus bought it last week. Works fine so far (mostly in Dublin).

Probably won't use it to find a McDonalds in laois though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Dodge wrote: »
    If you're talking about Ndrive, it doesn't connect to 3G. Missus bought it last week. Works fine so far (mostly in Dublin).

Probably won't use it to find a McDonalds in laois though

Cheers mate, I'm certainly not buying it looking for any mcdonalds or shops in Dublin either! lol

For 5.99 you can't go wrong, I heard it suffers from lag though,
    Just some of the reviews left on the app?
    Anyone had trouble with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Once it lagged a bit when we stopped at lights for a while, but generally no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Got this and thought it was a cracking little app for the money.

Was recommending it to someone else and it's dissappeared from the app store!! Anybody any ideas why?

bigfeller wrote: »
    Got this and thought it was a cracking little app for the money.

Was recommending it to someone else and it's dissappeared from the app store!! Anybody any ideas why?

Yeah saw that :confused:

On a brighter note Navigon British Isles is on sale atm for €25.99

And they have an update for iOS4 ready to go.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Dear valued customer,

It has recently come to our attention that customers are experiencing difficulties with our iPhone navigation applications. Accordingly, NDrive acknowledges that our software listed in the Apple iTunes Store have been dissolved until further notice. We are currently working to address and improve the situation in an efficient manner. This issue has been assigned a maximum urgency level as we cannot inquire on the duration of our void from said markets. We are attentively listening and working hard to address all inquisitions submitted.

At this moment, we kindly suggest that all questions and requests concerning NDrive's iTunes Store applications be forwarded to Apple’s Support Team.

To contact Apple's iTunes Store Customer Service please Click Here

We would like to sincerely thank you for your understanding and formally apologize for any inconvenience.

Cumprimentos / Best Regards

NDrive Support

Damn! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

lol:D

I have to agree with this too. After using NDrive and then Navigon, I found Navigon to be superior outside of Dublin.
    +1.

That said, Igo is also very sharp.

Advertisement