Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre/anti natal classes dublin?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all, due in 9 weeks this wens and am hearing from everyone that we need to take anti natal classes... can anyone recommend a sat session that is around the west of dublin....
    thanks a million.... oh and are they essential, its our first baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 houseman

Hi there, I would definitely do one. Went with doreen buckley-put her into Google. Class is in lexlip. You can claim cost back on health insurance (depending on ur policy). No gross videos or anything..more lime a seminar. Very informative. Not very personal thats the only thing. Was about 80 people ay our class but suited us fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Never bothered ( not even with the free ones) and have heard a lot of bad feedback, also heard that some even try to sell you stuff like prams and car seats. My recommendation would be to save your money and buy a good baby book instead.

What to expect when you're expecting" and "What to expect the first year" are great and sure all pregnancy and baby books are fascinating when it's your first baby as you still have the time and energy to read them :D

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy :)

ps. I found this book extra helpful and would highly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 C1

Had a chuckle at the recommendation below from "Groans" or was that "Grawns" : Since 'Grawns' NEVER did an antenatal class, but HEARD some bad feedback......he/she feels qualified to advise on same???:o

On a positive note - Antenatal Classes are worth it. I did one - it was brilliant. You and your partner will learn a lot. You only normally attend them once and you will spend a lot more on material objects for baby please god.... so Why not a tiny bit on education from real people who know what the current recommendations in this country are?

Google Antenatal Classes - you will find one. Best wishes with the baby!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Grawns wrote: »
    My recommendation would be to save your money and buy a good baby book instead.

What to expect when you're expecting" and "What to expect the first year" are great and sure all pregnancy and baby books are fascinating when it's your first baby as you still have the time and energy to read them :D

Books are all well and good, but the biggest problem I would have is the lack of an Irish perspective in them "What to expect..." is excellent, but it is American and some of the tests etc they mention aren't done here, so it doesn't really tell you what to expect in Ireland. At least at ante-natal classes, you learn about what will happen in an Irish hospital. Knowing what to expect should make the whole experience a lot less daunting. The (free) ones I went to included a labour ward tour, which was great (though I think you can organise one yourself).

I also found it great to meet others in the same boat and am in contact with other mammies due at the same time as me.

Edit: 9 weeks is plenty of time for the free ones. Most run over 6 weeks. The biggest problem you'll have is that they may be booked out, but ring around and you might get a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

C1 wrote: »
    Had a chuckle at the recommendation below from "Groans" or was that "Grawns" : Since 'Grawns' NEVER did an antenatal class, but HEARD some bad feedback......he/she feels qualified to advise on same???:o

The OP asked were they essential. They are not essential. And seeing that this is your first post you might like to try being polite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement