Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-20 World Cup

Options
  • 14-05-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Ireland two from two I see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

yep, all going to plan so far !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Going excellently so far JP. congrats to you and ruff!

Last match of the group - don't lose your bottle now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

They lost last night, this would never have happened if you bastards had elected me...

Orizio wrote: »
    They lost last night, this would never have happened if you bastards had elected me...

it was their strategy to lose, or at least not put out first team and see what happens to rest the team. they are now throwing everything at USA including the kitchen sink. and if get something from the game should top the group and thus avoiding NZ!:D

Risky ploy but we shall see soon if it paid off!

We are going to the final boys (let's hope).

At least it gives me something to do this week seeing as I have no playoffs :(

• Advertisement

It's on friday @ 7.35, same as the playoffs right? I shall have them both open.

Hopefully a double success on the friday so for us! :D

eoferrall wrote: »
    it was their strategy to lose

I see a fatal hole in their plan...

Ireland doing very well so far 21-0 COME ON IRELAND!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Ireland through to the semi's against an absolutely knackered French team, Final here we come!

Congrats on your part in it jprender!

And we did it (we? Ruff and JP!).

congrats JP on your work assisting ruff, figured out a plan to beat NZ yet?! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

2 more games to go.

We have had a great campaign altogether.

We were ltnt'd 3 times; by South Africa, Australia, and USA.
    We only used ltnt once.

We still came top of the group :D

The French are up next Wednesday, looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Just on New Zealand lads. Is there a bias built into the game that makes them the best or do they just have a good system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

corny wrote: »
    Just on New Zealand lads. Is there a bias built into the game that makes them the best or do they just have a good system?
    Just a brilliant development setup I think. My impression is that a greater % of their top teams place the national teams' needs over their own clubs'.

Just a brilliant development setup I think. My impression is that a greater % of their top teams place the national teams' needs over their own clubs'.

We'll get there soon, we have more team participating (teams like myself now getting involved) and our facilities are improving all the time, another two seasons and we will have a lot of top teams with top facilities imo (we will have recovered from the dutch exodus!:()

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

i fully intend to get involved when im up to scratch so we should be ok by 20something down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just saw we "won" the match against France. Bloody hell, tight affair.

Did i read right that we won on Metres Gained?!!

:eek::eek::eek:

crisco10 wrote: »

Seems to be, very odd rule!:cool:

We rested quite a few of our first XV for that game and we were very nearly punished severely.

Still, I'll take the victory (however hollow) and take our chances against the Blackness.

Go on the Irish ! :D:D

jprender wrote: »
    We rested quite a few of our first XV for that game and we were very nearly punished severely.

Still, I'll take the victory (however hollow) and take our chances against the Blackness.

Go on the Irish ! :D:D

Risk that paid off just, and gives us a tiny chance against the mighty NZ, bring it on!

Pity I will be in lectures on the sat and then with Leinster on the evening I wont be able to follow it much (shall log in on phone to check scores though!:D)

Not a hollow victory, Ireland did all the attacking and deserved to win on that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

crisco10 wrote: »

Apparently it's an even weirder rule based on performance during the pool games (even though we were in different pools). Bear in mind that most RL tournaments would have seen us lose on our penalty count in the event of a tie after extra time.

The point is that France are left feeling utterly robbed. Which is nice ;).

Apparently it's an even weirder rule based on performance during the pool games (even though we were in different pools). Bear in mind that most RL tournaments would have seen us lose on our penalty count in the event of a tie after extra time.

The point is that France are left feeling utterly robbed. Which is nice ;).

Very nice, this has made my day!:p

We lost 10-6 btw. Game we should have won really.

Hugely disappointing :(

I really thought we had figured out a way to beat them.

Their defense was just incredible to be fair to them.

Who does the tactic's work for the team?

We both do our scouting of the opposition and then come together to discuss.

We'd go through pros and cons, and listen to each others thoughts, and then decide on a final position. It worked very well.

It was funny because in this game alone we were almost identical in our tactics and how we should play against NZ.

It's a shame that a lot of teams decide to give them a free ride in the group stages. When you do the work, they can be beaten, especially in the Group stages when they play normal all the time. Look at their CSR compared to ours. They were also on higher energy and higher LTNT effectiveness than us. Ah....so close.

On paper, we were nowhere near 2nd best in this tournament. The few risks that we took really paid off and sometimes you need that little bit of luck to get on.

Team selection always followed tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Fair play to those involved, 2nd in the world is not bad in fairness. Bodes well for senior??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Yup, well played, 10-6 is a damn close game.

jprender wrote: »
    We both do our scouting of the opposition and then come together to discuss.

We'd go through pros and cons, and listen to each others thoughts, and then decide on a final position. It worked very well.

It was funny because in this game alone we were almost identical in our tactics and how we should play against NZ.

It's a shame that a lot of teams decide to give them a free ride in the group stages. When you do the work, they can be beaten, especially in the Group stages when they play normal all the time. Look at their CSR compared to ours. They were also on higher energy and higher LTNT effectiveness than us. Ah....so close.

On paper, we were nowhere near 2nd best in this tournament. The few risks that we took really paid off and sometimes you need that little bit of luck to get on.

Team selection always followed tactics.

Youself and Ruff yes? Would you tell me how, for example, you tactically approached New Zealand?

• Advertisement

just to add my congrats to yourself JP and Ruff, phenomenal job you did and so nearly beat the evil ones!

Well done, and I hope there's more to come from you two!:D

Advertisement