Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen c5

Options
  • 14-05-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

I am looking into trading my skoda octavia for a citroen c5. My Octavia is 05 Elegance TDI with 89000 miles on the clock with Skoda service history. The C5 is a 08 1.6 HDi with 41000 miles on the clock. The cost to change is 11,000 euro. Is this a good deal? Is there anything to look out for with the C5? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only way to know if it is a good deal is to go to a few other garages and get a cost to change price on a similar car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

new or old shape Octavia? how much is the C5 advertised for?

Presuming it is the new Octavia as the old model was only sold in one trim level "Tourer" along side the newer one. And is it the old or new C5 as the old C5 was still available in early 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Good point, the Octavia Tour wasn't available in Elegance.

Presume the Oct is worth about 5.5k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Its the new shape Octavia and new shape C5. The dealer is offering 7000 euro for my octavia. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement

This question is to any C5 owners is there anything to look out for with the car and how has it been reliability wise? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I think that 41,000 miles on a 08 car is a little leggy TBH. I think it should be costing you just under 10 grand to change. The new C5 is a wonderful car but the Munch bunch mob dont know that so you'd better factor that into the resale value of it. In 3 years time, a like for like Octavia will be worth more than the C5 although the C5 is a better car, go figure!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I think that 41,000 miles on a 08 car is a little leggy TBH. I think it should be costing you just under 10 grand to change. The new C5 is a wonderful car but the Munch bunch mob dont know that so you'd better factor that into the resale value of it. In 3 years time, a like for like Octavia will be worth more than the C5 although the C5 is a better car, go figure!

That's 20k miles per year which is pretty average mileage for a diesel car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's 20k miles per year which is pretty average mileage for a diesel car though.

Not since 2008 and the entire country switched to diesel. In saying that , 30-40,000 miles a year would be very high but I'd still say 20 is a little high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

The C5 is a very reliable car. I had mine all over europe last year, all my mates were warning me to be careful, it will break down, dah dah dah.
    It had me worried actually. But by god I put some mile up on it travelling around in it.
    The only think to look out for really is banging in the back from worn/faulty spheres when going over a sharp hump in the road. This is the only thing that gave me any grief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OP, the odometer is probably showing kms, so are you certain it is 41,000 miles not 41,000kms?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Here's my list from the recent reliability thread:

2008 Citroen C5.

Driver's door minor misalignment sorted.
    Moisture in side indicator repeater.
    Tear in rubber cushion inside filler cap.
    Power steering fluid leak.
    Left headlight focus 'dropped'.
    Door check strap broken (probably my fault for forcing it open in the ice!).

All fixed under warranty. No breakdowns. No rattles.

Aircon seems to have started leaking last week so must get that sorted. One of the heater elements in rear screen stopped working ages ago but decided not to replace as it's the very bottom one (so not really noticeable) and don't want to mess about with replacing window - could end up more trouble than it's worth

List might seem fairly long but with it being under warranty I'm obviously going to try to get every single little thing I can fixed, no matter how minor! Would regard the power steering leak (hose replaced) as being the only 'serious' problem (and the only one I didn't live with for ages before getting fixed).

Some quick spec info. Ambiance is the base (UK equivalent is VTR) - you don't want this. Thankfully, there are very few about. Dynamique (UK = VTR+) is the mid level trim and the one I have. A fair complement of bits and bobs and very nice seats with surprisingly 'luxurious' cloth. Exclusive adds Hydractive suspension. This suspension is not available on the 1.6 so you do not need to worry about sphere problems as mentioned above.

The drive is what you may expect - very quiet and refined and not at all sporty!

Bad points: visibility is poor. Missed being wiped out by inches one day after not noticing a car behind the A pillar at a junction. B pillar limits over the shoulder view. Front corners of the car can be hard to judge. No view whatsoever of the boot in the rear mirror - sensors recommended!

I've no idea what your car is worth but if C5 is retailing at €18k I'd say it was moderately overpriced. Resale is very poor as there seems to be no 'recognition' of the car. Tried to sell mine on and off for ages (well priced) with only one enquiry (admittedly mine is a petrol).

This question is to any C5 owners is there anything to look out for with the car and how has it been reliability wise? Thanks.

Don't have one but the uncle is on his 2nd, first was a 04 he had until 09, he put 90K miles on her without issue (he's a rep). The 09 has been faultless to date and is a gorgeous car. Is the 08 the new model ? I wouldn't get the old one really if spending €10000 or so, the old one looks as dated as an 05 Octy.

I am also looking at a Mondeo 1.8TDCI around the same money. Which do ye thing would be the better car for the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just noticed that myself and the other c5 owner on this thread both have effectively the same username! :)

Advertisement