Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetac courses limerick

Options
  • 14-05-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi, im jus turning 18 this summer and lookin for a fetac level 4 course i only have a juniour cert. but im really trying to find a course in limerick that could actualy lead on to something in science or I.T. as wel my girlfriend is moving down to limerick to L.I.T. i have no clue about FETAC realy. i know the juniour is the same as level 3.and im also in a bita trouble with the law at the moment so any course i would be in would need to be decent, been spending hours online lookin for courses but im just going in circles. so any help wold be very much appriceated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

hi, im jus turning 18 this summer and lookin for a fetac level 4 course i only have a juniour cert. but im really trying to find a course in limerick that could actualy lead on to something in science or I.T. as wel my girlfriend is moving down to limerick to L.I.T. i have no clue about FETAC realy. i know the juniour is the same as level 3.and im also in a bita trouble with the law at the moment so any course i would be in would need to be decent, been spending hours online lookin for courses but im just going in circles. so any help wold be very much appriceated

thanks

You have a number of options open to you. If you are in Limerick City you should check out the following site and make contact with the Adult Guidance Service. There are several options (either fulltime or part-time) that you could explore.
    http://www.limerickcityaes.ie/

If you are in County Limerick - you should look up http://www.limerickvec.ie/ and do the same.

Also, you mentioned a bit of bother with the law - many of the programmes on offer at FETAC Level 4 make provision for participants with specific needs - that includes ex-offenders. Everyone leaves their baggage (past) at the door of the classroom and is treated equally. The only time your "bit of bother" might be an issue is if you wanted to work in an area that requires Garda Clearance - and even then most minor offences are not an issue!!

As an early school leaver you are entitled to take part in a range of progammes leading to a Full Award at FETAC Level 4 for free of charge. Many of these programmes are specifically geared at preparing you for programmes at FETAC Level 5.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnnygottti92

thanks a million. you were more help than google :) ha cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

You are welcome. Hope it works out for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

There is a programme called the Back to Education Initiative which specifically focusses on people who did not finish secondary school. It runs in VECs and some community centres and offers extra supports to people returning to education. It is part time which might(?) suit you. You don't mention what kind of subjects you are interested in, which might help. Also just be sure that you pick a course you want to do, and not just somethign which will get the Gardai and / or courts off your back. If you have a probation officer, they should also be able to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

Hi

Just re read your post and seen that you are interested in IT or science. Try and narrow it down a bit - is it Office type applications in IT or web design and social marketing?? A visit to the Adult Guidance service of teh VECs might help clear your thoughts.

• Advertisement

web design and programming. i tink da bak to education program is 4 ppl over 23 or sumthing, im jus 18. looking for a fas course nw but da options aint great.basicly i need a course i can get sum kinda career outta but i cant go bak to skool properly cuz i need rent allowanc for a apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

For programming you will need a good level of Maths.

basicaly im looking for any kind of course in limerick city dat would av anything to do wit computers in limerick bu it wud need 2 be somethinng that i could use to get a job, problem is i have a sentenceing in january and a poesssion of a knife and i could get jail for a few year. and tryin to move to limeric and geta apartment and get rent allowance and get the deposit is all just kuntish. im only 18 , on the dole and da only reason im going down is beacuse of my girlfriend and i dunno wat im at 2 be honest so any help would be great , thanks for all da replies

• Registered Users Posts: 18 testerdesign

Look up limerick senior college on google

Advertisement