Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had UPC installed. Having problems.

Options
  • 14-05-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi

I just had a HD box and a normal digi box installed. Also had the 30MB broadband and phone installed.

The engineer said the digi boxes would take a while to update and then the channels should start coming through.

He said to re-boot the modem after about an hour and that should be sorted.

Anyway, the HD box is working but the other one isn't. The broadband or the phone isn't working wither. Does it take a while to activate it or should it be working by now (about 3 hours after they installed it).

I'm going to be heading out soon so I'm thinking I'll just leave it until tomorrow to check it but have others had to wait for a while?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 crazypole

Had it installed yesterday. Broadband was working within an hour. However, it seems there are some problems within UPC network. Sometimes connection get's dropped for a few minutes (and it's not a local wireless problem - I can ping a modem all the time).
    Thats strange because most of the time I'm getting very fast broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭The Oggmonster

Ok, my phone found the wireless signal but it says:
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server
    This is what I was getting earlier when I had the router plugged into my pc. So I presume the Router is working. Still looks like my broadband signal is not being received though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hi

I just had a HD box and a normal digi box installed. Also had the 30MB broadband and phone installed.

The engineer said the digi boxes would take a while to update and then the channels should start coming through.

He said to re-boot the modem after about an hour and that should be sorted.

Anyway, the HD box is working but the other one isn't. The broadband or the phone isn't working wither. Does it take a while to activate it or should it be working by now (about 3 hours after they installed it).

I'm going to be heading out soon so I'm thinking I'll just leave it until tomorrow to check it but have others had to wait for a while?

My guess is that the modem is not 'provisioned correctly' as UPC call it. Basically, the MAC address for the modem needs to be 'registered' with UPC's network. What normally happens after a new install is that the tech will ring the 'provisioning' dept and give them the MAC address. 5 mins later, you should get connection. I've found many of the techs neglect to do this straight away, and wait until they have a bunch of MAC addresses from new customers before ringing.

What you can do is call support, give them the MAC address and ask them to check if it is provisioned correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Shock Maste

I got the exact same set up as you installed Friday evening. The engineer said that it would take about an hour for it to be provisioned. now after 2 hours i was still waiting. Rang their support and they told me flat out that it would take longer most likely till first thing saturday morning for it to be done. the reason for this was that their provisioning team was a few people down that evening. It was nice to be told the truth for once :). The CS agent did push it through for me though and i was up and working by 7pm friday evening. have not no trouble with them since. perfect speeds phone is fine (a hell of a lot better than Eircom) been solid all weekend.

Advertisement