Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Phone, DSL broadband and Sky TV from one phone socket?

Options
  • 14-05-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hope this is in the right forum.

We've just ordered Eircom broadband and phone and we're waiting to have Sky and Sky multiroom installed. There's only one phone socket in the house at the moment and I'm planning on getting another socket installed upstairs for the Sky Multiroom which is fine.

But I'd still need to be able to plug in the phone, broadband and Sky into the one socket downstairs. Will that work ok if I use a splitter in the socket and plug the dual DSL/Phone socket into one of the splitter connections and the Sky cable into the other or will that be a bit too much for it to handle? Am I better off just getting a second phone socket beside the first one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

it should work as you've described, however, make sure that the dsl/voice splitter is the first thing connected to the eircom socket, so that both your telephone and the sky box receive a filtered voice feed...

If you're adding an additional socket for your sky box, you could wire that into the exisitng eircom socket, but you would need to ensure there is a dsl filter on that feed also before it gets to the sky box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Dardania wrote: »
    it should work as you've described, however, make sure that the dsl/voice splitter is the first thing connected to the eircom socket, so that both your telephone and the sky box receive a filtered voice feed...

If you're adding an additional socket for your sky box, you could wire that into the exisitng eircom socket, but you would need to ensure there is a dsl filter on that feed also before it gets to the sky box

Thanks for the reply.

So in reality, I'd need 3 DSL filters, one for the DSL/Phone and two for each of the sockets that Sky was wired to? Do you know if Sky installers normally provide the filters? If I can remember correctly, Eircom used to supply a Voice/DSL filter and just a single DSL filter.

The current splitter that I have plugs directly into the phone socket so plugging that into the DSL/Voice splitter would block up one of the ports so I'd need to pick up a new splitter that's on a wire I guess. Might be just as easy to stick in a new socket. If I get a new socket, I assume I'm probably better off getting an ADSL / Phone plate and just skipping the filter if it's possible?

I wouldn't say sky would provide the filters.

As an alternatice, you could wire the two slave sockets for the sky boxes off the filtered port of the splitter at the main eircom socket...

I wouldn't say sky would provide the filters.

As an alternatice, you could wire the two slave sockets for the sky boxes off the filtered port of the splitter at the main eircom socket...

I had thought of that but my brother's friend is a sparks and will do it as a nixer for me so I'll run it by him to see what he thinks is best.

Thanks a lot.

good luck!

Don't forget that DSL modems don't need a filter before them necessarily...

• Advertisement

good luck!

Don't forget that DSL modems don't need a filter before them necessarily...

I think there's a few filters lying around my dad's house just in case. Might just invite myself down for dinner!

Advertisement