Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Edging between gravel and lawn

Options
  • 14-05-2010 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

Has anyone experience of using steel edging in their garden? Saw it used on a gardening programme on the telly a few nights ago and did a search - came up with www.everedge.com. I think it looks really good - esp in the dark brown - very unobtrusive and nice sharp edges - has anyone ever used it - would you recommend for edging lawn and driveway? How does it compare price-wise to concrete kerbing, bricks?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How do you treat it once it is fitted ?. It would be impossible unless you pull it up, sand it down, paint it & put it back. Stainless steel would be better but seriously expensive but even that is not corrosion proof as shown by the Spire !.

Strimmers & mowers would soon knock the protection off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

It is actually very good, the price is rather expensive and as a retrofit is less disruptive to install than kerbing or brick edge.

I would not use it in gardens where children (young or older) play as I would be fearful of accidents. It is used extensively in more formal gardens, less so in family gardens.

Brick or stone sett edging is less expensive and because these provide a more distinctive edge as well as 'limited standing room' is probably a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

One thought. If anyone is getting kerbing or brick edging done make sure that the contractor doesn't use loads of concrete to bed them in. Most new gardens I visit have a bald strip of "lawn" next the drive because the grass has been sown in one inch of soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Concrete haunchings for sett/brick edging should be at least 50-60mm below top edge and finished flush with inside and outside of setts etc which provides plenty of space for lawn to grow perfectly.

Agree all too often 'builders finish' tends to be seen giving rise to the unsightly exposed concrete. But like most things, attention to detail and workmanship are key and in such instances a perfect finish is easily achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

I saw that program. The Lanscape Man. It's good, but very expensive. Also if you decide later on to change the size of the bed, path etc it won't be so easy. That show has moved by the way, it's on Sunday (tonight on Ch.4).
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I just used this one:
    http://www.lawnedging.ie/
    Looks great. All the neighbours (who have much more time to spend in the garden than me) have been asking about it.
    Sold by the same guy as everedge. nice guy, very helpful. He showed me both options. Went for this one because it was much cheaper.

Advertisement