Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can stevia be bought here

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

stevia is a sugar substitute but without the calories, also suitable for diabetics.
    i am wondering if any person on here has heard of it
    and if they might know if it can be got here
    and if we can cultivate it for our own use
    as it can be used in cooking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jd1959

I've managed to grow it here from seed in the green house last year, very difficult to germinate though. Planted about 20,000 (ebay) seeds got about 10 to germinate all but 3 died by the end of last year and managed to overwinter one which is growing happily this year. They are sweet but with what I find a chemical aftertaste similar to some of the artificial sweeteners. I have run accross some of the rare plants web sights advertising the plants for sale but in my opinion they really don't seem to be worth the time and effort.

Advertisement