Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SW Help?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could ask a question or two.

The Backstory:
    I was in college and I unfortunately got pregnant, (I was on the Pill and was taking it very strictly but ended up pregnant). I left college.
    I wasn't happy with the course I was in, it was a terrible course(Wanted to do Games Dev. ended up with a Multimedia course pretending to be Games Dev).

I am working in a part-time job, but I earn €6.92/hour with few hours, but I have been looking for a new job (nigh impossible tbh).

My boyfriend is sticking with me and is an honourable guy(he is trying to find work too while he is in college but I repeat nigh impossible).

The Question(s):

Question 1:
    I don't like the idea of taking money from the government and I'm not trying to make the SW pay for everything, But its not about choice now its about necessity and so I was wondering if someone could tell me in plain english what exactly am I entitled to? (Its not laziness but I've spent ages looking and I am confused :( )

Question 2:
    Could someone also maybe post some links, or details where I can get info in plain english?

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Bevvie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

When did you leave college?
    How many days each week are you working part time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bevvie

About 2 weeks ago I left.
    I work varied days, sometimes 4 days, sometimes 3 days, sometimes 1-2 days.
    It's not constant tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

E6.92 that aint minimum wage how are they getting away with that unless your not going through the book??

Its my first job and I'm 18 its allowed,
    €6.92 for first year
    €7+ year 2,
    then full min. wage

Please i really need help, could someone help me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do you live at home with your parents? that makes a difference - Did you have a baby?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Bevvie wrote: »
    About 2 weeks ago I left.
    I work varied days, sometimes 4 days, sometimes 3 days, sometimes 1-2 days.
    It's not constant tbh
    You may not qualify for jobseekers assistance/allowance if you work for more than 3 days a week

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm living in a flat with my boyfriend in tralee I'm from limerick and I'm not due til October

Bevvie wrote: »
    I'm living in a flat with my boyfriend in tralee I'm from limerick and I'm not due til October

Ok

well perhaps you should go to local Community Welfare Officer in Tralee - they may be able to offer you rent supplement and other possible payments - Ask exactly what you are entitled to - ring the health centre for your area and find out when the CWO has clinics
    Tralee Health Centre, 6 Denny Street, Tralee, Co. Kerry
    Tel: 066 718 4802
    Ffax: 066 718 1480
    Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9.00-1.30 & 2.30-5.00
    Wheelchair-accessible: Yes

Tralee Health Centre, Moyderwell, Tralee, Co. Kerry
    Tel: 066 712 2912
    Fax: 066 712 2912
    Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9.00-5.00
    Wheelchair-accessible: Yes

Also you would probably be entitled to job seekers allowance

I think that you should go to the local CIC and ask them what you are entitled to - some social welfare payments will be paid by the HSE and some by the Dept of Social Protection

Make sure if you visit the CIC and CWO that they know you are pregnant and give you information on what benefits will be available for your child

http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/bycounty/Kerry/Tralee/Citizens%20Information%20Centres

If you are really really stuck maybe consider the vincent depaul

Terry Pratchet

If you dropped out of college you can't sign on until the start of the next academic year.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    If you dropped out of college you can't sign on until the start of the next academic year.
    Did someone tell you this? I've never heard this before so would be interested in a source

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Nolanger wrote: »

Not true. You need a letter from college confirming you have left. This confusion may have arisen because, for second level students, they must be three months out of school and be 18 years old before they can claim.

If the OP did not sit the exams then she can sign on. If she sat exams and then quit college she can't sign on until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hoff1

how many days can you work and still be eligible for the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

3 days max can be worked and the sw will pay you for the remaining 4 days

they only things the OP is allowed at present is rent allowance and social welfare for the days she is not working - they will give her slips that she needs to get signed each week from her employer which state the days she worked and the ones she didnt they are then handed into the local office who organise they additional payment
    thats all your entitled too
    however I know they give help once the baby is born for the necessities ie cot, pram and bottles but not sure exactly what or how this works so as said already go to your community welfare officer and ask

Advertisement