Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does DNA Emit light?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I did see on a television program the moment a human egg was fertilised it emitted a flash of light.
    Kewl, not religion, just let there be light and it was.
    How neat is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I did see on a television program the moment a human egg was fertilised it emitted a flash of light.
    Kewl, not religion, just let there be light and it was.
    How neat is that.

I think that was just loosely based on a true story.

LostCovey

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pseudoscience :rolleyes:
    they are mixing known facts adding bizarre extrapolations and coming to unjustified conclusions.

Colour is a function of the wavelengths of light that a molecule intracts with.

Each chlorophyll molecule doesn't do photosynthesis. Instead there is an entire system of interlinked molocules to capture AND channel the energy to the reaction site.

AFAIK DNA doesn't have enough pi bonding etc. to allow it to channel energy along the chain. Anything that happens is localised.

Helical antennas are good for picking up radiation that is of a comparable wavelength to the diameter of the helix, and then only from end on and it works much better if you use an antenna that conducts electricity rather than an insulator. From the side an helical antenna is just twisted pair, which is used for network cables because it doesn't act as an antenna. Even if the helix worked it would not pickup light, just far infrared.

Also UV can cause adjacent Thymine bases of DNA to join together, the effect is like having a broken tooth on a zip and the zipper getting stuck. It's one of the reasons why excess sunlight isn't good for you.

Some moths do have fractal antennas tuned to infra red radiation so such things occur in nature, and we have plenty of marine animals that produce and sense electricity so real telepathy could exist in an alien species, but we haven't seen it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

a bit a cold bacon i suppose

Advertisement