Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do they boo King??

Options
  • 13-05-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

just turned on darts tonight,why is King getting stick from the crowd?? Wade seems to get it too??? Could anybody enlighten me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Some blokes just connect better with fans I suppose.King does come across a bit arrogant at times, same with Wade although he's not the worst.No reason to boo them on throws though.Some players seem to enjoy themselves more, show a bit of personality and get into the spirit of it a little, and thats what fans want.Although Barney never looks happy and still has massive support :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Short answer, they're ****ing eejits.

Especially the ones who cheer when he hits a 180 or wins a leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Because they're idiots who don't appreciate what a great player he is. He's never done anything to deserve it either, unlike Barney who threw a strop on about 10 of the 14 nights during the League.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

phkk wrote: »
    just turned on darts tonight,why is King getting stick from the crowd?? Wade seems to get it too??? Could anybody enlighten me??

Its not one specific incident - its just a build up of things over the years, most of it from his time in the BDO.
    A few of them are mentioned in his wiki page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mervyn_King_(darts_player)#Controversy

What doesn't get really mentioned in the wiki is that to a certain extent he revelled (or appeared to revel) in being the 'bad boy' back in his BDO days - he regularly did interviews with TV and Darts mags where he came across as more than a bit arrogant, with a 'fcuk em all, I don't care if theyre all against me attitude'.

Unfortunately whilst its one thing to be the bad boy in front of an audience of a relatively-well-behaved-even-if-they-dislike-you couple of hundred people in the BDO, its far tougher to enjoy the same role in front of a drunken mob of 8000+ on a PL Thursday, people who aren't well enough behaved to allow you to even throw your darts with a modicum of quiet.

The irony is that he seems to be a far more nice more humble guy now than he was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

If you thought that was bad, you should have seen what happened last week :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

To be honest, i doubt alot of the "fans" who go the the premier league have a clue of anything he did in the BDO.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I blame SKY, they built him up as a bad guy, made more of his spat with Taylor than they should! Truth is the PDC need a guy like King who can really push Taylor, instead they are letting the crowds destroy him!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I blame SKY, they built him up as a bad guy, made more of his spat with Taylor than they should! Truth is the PDC need a guy like King who can really push Taylor, instead they are letting the crowds destroy him!

I blame Sky as well for this. They had a problem at the time but they keep harping on this every time they meet in an effort to hype up the match :rolleyes:.

I don't think King is a bad guy really either. He was driven mad last week by the worst shower ever to enter a PDC event and even though he reacted badly towards them, it was well out of order long before that.

Unfortunately, its impossible to police who goes to these events so I don't see it ending any time soon :(.

Advertisement