Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covering self harm scars

Options
  • 13-05-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i used to self harm as a child. as an adult now i can't believe i used to cut my arms. life seems so different now but i didn't know how to cope at the time as i was being abused. however i have scars all down my arms which make me feel so depressed and extremely self conscious. i would love to hear any ideas on getting rid of them or covering them with some kind of make up or something? would scar revision work in the long term? they are no longer red and raised as i used bio oil, they are now very faded thin white lines but its so obvious it was self harm that caused them. i wouldn't care if i had scars but just so it wouldn't be so obvious i used self injure, as its hindering me from moving on as its a constant reminder, ive been through counselling to move on emotionally from my childhood but the scars upset me every time i see them and never wear short sleeves...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I wear short sleeves, and still have one huge scar as well as the faded white lines. People only ever notice them if they're up close, e.g. taking blood from that arm and are very prepared to accept "oh that's an ancient injury" as a non-answer, if they ever even ask.
    There's probably not as much need to feel self-conscious as you'd think. Same as in everything else in life, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mine are now white and would generally only be noticeable if someone was standing next to me. I don't really want to get rid of them, but I do understand the stigma and questions that might arise. Summer can be a particularly hard time. You can get light, longsleeve, cotton t-shirts if that helps. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for the emotional side of things, though I understand that scars as a reminder isn't pleasant..

Could you chat to your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

op use some bio-oil, you can get it in any chemist and its brilliant for scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

krudler wrote: »
    op use some bio-oil, you can get it in any chemist and its brilliant for scars.

The OP mentioned that they used it already- I think bio-oil doesn't do much on scars that are old and white.

I actually found it easier to cover my scars when they were fresh/red as I could use makeup. OP I don't actually have any advice as regards covering up white scars- any prominent scars I have I just cover with clothes. In my experience though people don't tend to notice old white scars or be as shocked as they would be with newer red ones. Like the clartharlear said people will usually leave it alone when you give them a vague answer, and you may find a lot of people just don't see them.

Have you considered going to your GP- they might be able to recommend a way of making them less noticeable- especially as they seem to be a big concern for you. Sorry I don't have better advice to give- best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I think you might just have to get used to them.

I have loads and while I would obviously rather not have them, it really doesn't bother me that much anymore. They are part of me, of what I went through and as such I don't really mind them.

The only times I keep them covered is in work, just because I face customers all day and people do tend to ask questions, which just gets to be a pain in the ass after the first five times.

I have noticed old scars on the arms of two other people I work with though (one of which is a manager) and they don't bother covering them up at all...fair play to them really!

• Advertisement
Advertisement