Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing question

• 13-05-2010 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey all,

I'm living in rented accomodation and its all been going well but lately my ensuite shower has started to stink every now and then.

I've put drain cleaner down it several times now thinking that its just build up of shower gunk from previous tenants but i think its because of something else now.

Theres another ensuite bathroom in the room beside mine and it seems that every time that the toilet in that ensuite is used my shower tray gurgles and then a pong follows.

Does it sound daft that the shower drain and the toilet drain are connected?
    If they are connected is that dodgy plumbing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You have whats most likely an easy clean shower trap that needs cleaning.

Get a pair of gloves and a pen and stick the pen in the grate of the shower and pop it off. Then clean out all the crap inside... Thats why the gloves.

Rinse it with water and that should solve it... Let me know if it does not

As away if what I said does not make sense..

open-shower-waste.jpg

60d7_35.JPG

This is one in chrome as the picture is better, Just stick the pen in the grateing The reason I suggest a pen is something metal might break the plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baawhoosh

It makes sense but ive already done that, twice in case i missed something.

Is it not strange that theres a gurgle when the toilet in the adacent en-suite is flushed?

Also, the toilet in my en-suite takes around 20mins to refill after flushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

the gurguling noise is more than likely caused by syphonage caused by the toiled as a result of the shower wast being connected too close to where the toilet is connected to the stack ,yes it is bad plumbing practice , and it being rented accomodation it think your going to have to live with it as i dont think your landloard is going to do anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

the cause of the cistern is either the orifice blocked or the black rubber washer needing replacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baawhoosh

hey sullzz thanks for your opinion.
    well thats a balls and i doubt very much the landlord would do anything about it.

As for the cistern would there be anything i could do that wouldnt caused a flood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

baawhoosh wrote: »
    hey sullzz thanks for your opinion.
    well thats a balls and i doubt very much the landlord would do anything about it.

As for the cistern would there be anything i could do that wouldnt caused a flood?
    If your handy enough at things , can you turn off the cold water , if its supplied from the attic tank then there should be a valve in hotpress if its mains supplied from mains might be a valve under sink .
    Once your sure waters off , take off the toilet cistern lid and most of the time the ballcock can be dissasembeled by hand therer are a few different parts just make sure your put it back together correctly you will probably find one of the parts blocked with grit or plastic . if it is then just clean the grit out , reassemble the ballcock and turn back on water and check it.

Advertisement