Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSR on Dreamcast

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Is there any clear way to tell apart the different releases of MSR before buying one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_Street_Racer#Differences_between_releases
    MSR was released three times in total. In order to meet a late-November 2000 deadline in the UK, Bizarre Creations released a game which had a number of noticeable bugs.

UK First Release Bugs

* After some time of playing, Tokyo races would always be at night.
    * Completing Championship challenges without the required number of points would be considered successful nonetheless.
    * The game would sometimes corrupt VMUs.
    * The "Quick Race" screen in the multiplayer mode would be blank.
    * When using a keyboard to enter names etc., the keys were mapped incorrectly. Pressing C would give B, pressing B would give A etc.

Shortly after MSR's release, Sega recalled the first batch of games and promptly released a new version without these bugs, although some minor ones remained.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

At the Bizzare Creations forum:

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16946
    Do you have a buggy version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

polyfusion wrote: »
    At the Bizzare Creations forum:

http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16946
    Do you have a buggy version?
    I don't hve either version jsut yet. I'm getting one off ebay but don't know which to get. Every seller that has replied to my message has said "Eh, I dunno which it is... how can you tell?"

I'll reply to them and ask if they can check that serial number. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ciderman has a pre-release silver press of the game on GD-ROM :) Sliver disc without logos etc on it. Nice and rare and I'm sure either first batch or pre-first batch

There's tonnes of these on Ebay for some reason. I liked Project Gotham and have recently acquired a Dreamcast so thought I'd give this a shot. Thanks again for that link, that's helped identify the buggy games from the patched up ones.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190381188093

The MSR games this guy's selling have this code on them:
    MK-51022-50
    820-0069-50

The 820 bit suggests they're the first release batch of games with the glitches. Worth the punt @ £5 sealed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

kerbdog wrote: »
    Ciderman has a pre-release silver press of the game on GD-ROM :) Sliver disc without logos etc on it. Nice and rare and I'm sure either first batch or pre-first batch

I do?
    Must nip upstairs and check!

And as a long time player of all racing things Bizarre, MSR seemed to me to the most original of the games from them, Project Gotham through to the 4th title are great, if not some of my favourite racing games, but MSR had more great ideas in one place, it was as if Miyamoto himself decided to make a proper racing game, without plumbers, bananas or coins!

The realtime clock, the realistic cities, the kudos system, the opening up of the car roster due to merit, the radio stations, the music, the whole thing sang with clever touches, and thats why I still play this today.

For me it's up there with Test Drive Unlimited on the 360 and Need For Speed on the 3DO as the best driving, as opposed to racing, games out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I have MSR that you can have for a tenner if you want it

I have MSR that you can have for a tenner if you want it
    Eh lol, not when it's a fiver on Ebay.

Advertisement