Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to not ruin the paint work?!

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I park my car in a private underground car park, right above my spot there is a leaking gutter. When it rains heavy the water drips on the bonnet and front wing of the car. When it drys it leaves behind a type of limescale on the car which is very hard and I cannot get off! Anyone any ideas how I could remove it without damaging the paint work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Warm white vinegar dissolves limescale without hurting the paint*

*try at own risk. Boards take no responsibility etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

wd40... test on an inconspicuous area of paintwork first, but it usually works

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Vigorously rub White Spirit into the affected area, it'll do the job ;)

* Thats a joke btw, seriously dont do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I would deal with the cause, not the symptom. Get some gutter sealant and fix that leaking pipe, €15 from Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

cheapcarcover.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Goono911 wrote: »
    I park my car in a private underground car park, right above my spot there is a leaking gutter. When it rains heavy the water drips on the bonnet and front wing of the car. When it drys it leaves behind a type of limescale on the car which is very hard and I cannot get off! Anyone any ideas how I could remove it without damaging the paint work??

You could try foaming the car with warm water to soften it up. Should come off handy enough.

The limescale will have stained the lacquer i'd say. That'll need to be machine polished if so.

Advertisement