Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TR004-Law Graduates in US?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I understand Trinity is known and respected in the USA, but would the law course be for a job?

Would it be useless over there due to differences in the law?
    I understand i would have to pass the New York bar exam and possibly have to get an LLM, but would the TCD LLB be a good starting point? I wouldnt have to get a JD would I? (No way I can afford that!:()

Does anybody know of an TCD Law graduates that got a legal position over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

According to the Careers advisory website, some students have graduated and gone on to study for the new york bar exam (2000, 2001). Havent looked at the rest meself. I dont think you need a password to view the page

http://www.tcd.ie/Careers/students/year.php?courseID=3037&nodeID=3663&year=2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Try emailing the course co ordinator. Beware of bias though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I do Law and Political Science and there are a few American students in my class (and indeed in the straight Law class) who intend to practice in the USA so I assume it is possible! As both Ireland and America are common law jurisdictions I'm sure the differences between the two aren't huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Doubt anyone in the law school would be biased, they will have no problem filling the course. I imagine it would be good training in law, but obviously none of the law would be american law so you would have to spend a year or two (or three) learning american law (eg NY bar exam).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just finished last year law - went to the US on exchange too.

The states of California and New York do not require a JD to sit the Bar Exams. You can do the NY Bar exam prep courses here in Ireland.

For other states, I believe you do need a JD. These could cost around 120k+ dollars (and the euro's value keeps on falling ;) ). However, a 1st year law grad in a big firm (say, in Atlanta where I was) - would earn around 140-160k a year starting, rising to much much higher as you move along to partner. Interns also get paid this rate pro rata... Wages aren't everything though - and you'll be paying for this salary with your blood :)

Hope the info helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement