Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hair loss

Options
  • 13-05-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

started to loose my hair a few years ago and initially didn't bother me too much. But I'm really tired and upset now at having to keep my hair short. I can't let it grow due to the considerable hair loss. I'm a tremendously artistic person and this 'blokey' look just isn't me.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

started to loose my hair a few years ago and initially didn't bother me too much. But I'm really tired and upset now at having to keep my hair short. I can't let it grow due to the considerable hair loss. I'm a tremendously artistic person and this 'blokey' look just isn't me.....

I've been in the same boat for a while....a few weeks back I took the plunge and got a blade 1 all over. A shock for about a week but definitely the best decision I ever made....no more staring at a receding hairline and combing/styling hair!

As regards being "tremendously artistic"......pretty pompous but I suppose I know where you are coming from. A shaved head is a very common look and these days no one should assume you are a chav unless you dress and act that way and I assume you don't? Best advice is to go completely or very close to totally shaved, as this will come across as a statement and a sign of confidence in yourself. Just getting it short probably will just look "Blokey" as you say.

So what have you got to lose by giving it a try? It will always grow back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

An amazing amount of artistic people have shaved heads. Just look at all those bands with thick-framed glasses and shaved heads and there's a wealth of writers and critics the same.

Hair loss is one of those things that you can spend loads of money and waste loads of time worrying about or just accept that while potions and lotions may slow it, they're never going to stop it.

So you might as well just accept it and go with it.

That's what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That just isn't a look that reflects me....no amount of words will change that....I'm going to go for a hopefuly natural hair system .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

I know how you feel mate. I started to loose my hair from about 17 onwards.

I visited a hair restoration clinic and was quoted €4k per session and about 4 sessions needed, even then I would have to wear my hair in a "comb over" fashion. Not worth it for a frankly shítty look.

Shaved my head for the first time a few days after that visit to the hair clinic and I never looked back.

Lots of people commented that the shaved looks a lot better than the wispy bit of hair I had before; feels so much cleaner too :)

Just some food for thought buddy :)

P.S. I'm far from a "blokey" type fella

Im able to fool people by brushing my hair back at the front.......In time there will be a cure...but not any time soon...I hope I'm alive to see it.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Im able to fool people by brushing my hair back at the front.......In time there will be a cure...but not any time soon...I hope I'm alive to see it.......

Trust me you won't be able to fool people. This will not stop. 2 choices:

1) Take a deep breath, put your ego and vanity aside and shave it off. Take a few weeks for you and the people around you to get used to it and to get used to maintaining this style. Then forget about it and go about your life.

2) Don't shave it. Spend literally the rest of your life looking in the mirror wondering if this is the day your hair will stop thinning. Frantically checking your hair after a gust of wind to see if any bald spots have been exposed. Constantly wondering if anyone else notices it. Probably spending a fortune on "cures" and hairpieces.

It was a no brainer for me in the end. I actually think it was no bad thing that I started losing my hair as I was always a bit vain about my looks and this gave me something of a reality check. It is not the end of the world - you are not losing a limb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Maybe there will be, maybe there won't be! But to be honest even if there is it'll be too late for you and me!! I'd also much rather see money that's put to 'curing' baldness (how can you cure a natural phenomonem that happens to 50% of men?) put into poverty reduction or cancer research etc.

On a serious note though think of like this. You could spend thousands of euro of getting hair restorations that tend to look rubbish anyway of you could use that money to maybe go on a holiday, buy yourself a car, bet it all on red at Vegas, whatever. The point is when you're 60/70 you'd look back and think did I really need to spend all that dosh on a few strands of fur?

I understand where you're coming from. It's human nature to be vain and to want to look our best. Society doesn't recognise or allow that men are just like women in this regard. I'm 23 and receeding badl and I reckon another year or so and it will be time for a blade one all over. Another few years and it'll be gone anyway. I often say 'Oh if I could just make it out of my 20's I wouldn't mind blah blah blah' but at the end I just get on with it. I wouldn't mind looking like Brad Pitt either but hey that's life. It's nature, it's natural and you do the best you can with what you got and have some fun along the way ;)

On a lighter note you could do the whole bald hipster thing a la Moby etc. and everybody loves Moby!!

Dude, Although hair is seen as a sign of virility and all that, I personally don't think its any less sexy for a man to have hair or no hair. Slighty balding hair, or thick masses of hair.
    In other words it does'nt matter. Or if it does, why does it matter?
    Do you think you are seen as less creative or artistic because of your lack of hair?

;) come on. Cheer up. Hair loss, on a scale of 1 - 10 ? how bad is it really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I'm loosing my hair and went to art college too. You could grow some stylish facial hair or start using some interesting hats. Hair is only one aspect of your appearance which people tend to focus too much upon when considering their self image. Very few people use full length mirrors so naturally your overall look is scewed and focuses on your head. Experiment a bit and make whatever statements you want, eventually you'll find a style you're happy with.

Advertisement