Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIRT Tax exemptions

Options
  • 13-05-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have been told that it would be advantages for me to put my savings into my wife's name since, because she does not work and does not have an income, she would not then be required to pay DIRT. Is there any truth in this? Can anyone advise?
    Are there any advantages to putting savings into joint names? We are both 60 years of age.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

People under the age of 65 have to pay DIRT irrespective of their income. You have to be over 65 to get it back or get an exemption of DIRT. So to answer your question no benefit currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's bull.

DIRT is applied to all accounts regardless of personal circumstances unless you are non resident you can apply to have it paid ex DIRT.

Advertisement