Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make A body for a double neck electric bass - from scratch - complete newbie

Options
  • 13-05-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've a dean edge 4 and dean edge 8 string bass, with bolt on necks, I was wondering how I would go about getting a double neck body made, or if there was any luthiers that would come recommended for a custom job like this

I've looked at sites like warmoth, but I'd prefer to deal with someone in person, so I can see first hand and explain in better detail what I want.

Simply put, I just want to unbolt the necks, and bolt them on another body, with the bridges and other guts that are making up the bass's

I've owned a double neck 4 string fretless (bottom neck) 5 string fretted (top neck) and I would find more use for the 8 string/4 string combination

(I already own an octave pedal, and yes it does do pretty much the same job, ....before someone makes that suggestion)

Any help or info appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Maybe talk to FruscianteFan on here, he is fairly handy with a saw and a screwdriver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 buymygear

Gaspode wrote: »
    Maybe talk to FruscianteFan on here, he is fairly handy with a saw and a screwdriver!

I've noticed some of his work on here alright, looks like he could do a job, I will get in touch with him over the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You could cut the bodies and attach them to each other. I guess the best way is using a tongue and groove method. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 buymygear

Dord wrote: »
    You could cut the bodies and attach them to each other. I guess the best way is using a tongue and groove method. :confused:

No, I don't think that would be very sturdy, and I have given it about 5 seconds of really deep thought, the two bodies are different thicknesses

heres some pics:

Dean Edge 4
    image0106w.jpg
    image0107.jpg
    image0108q.jpg

Dean Edge 8
    edge8blk.jpg
    dean8bodysmall.jpg
    dean8neckbacksmall.jpg
    dean8neckfrontsmall.jpg

This is the double neck I used to have:
    doubleneckbass1.jpg

Would like to have something similar, with the 8 string neck as the top neck and 4 string as the bottom neck

I would change the shape a bit, looks like a dildo sticking out of the top half where you attach the strap (but it was extremely well balanced all the same)

Advertisement