Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Britton Insurance Donegal

Options
  • 13-05-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Have big problem with insurance companies .My car insurance last year with Britton was 280 euro with 1,000 euro excess.This year they've quoted me 480 euro .I have 5 years no claims proof .Its actually longer than that but cant get letter off company before that.So EXCUSE from insurance companies is oh premiums are up 33% .Well my income is down to 33% of what it was last year and I do suspect most people are in same boat as me also .So with way banks have screwed us this is another corrupt exploitation of the people .If I had claim in say for house insurance it would be scrutinised for months until it was passed .I just think insurance companies are unreal like I do sympathise with anyone who lost their job in Quinns but for staff to come and say insure with us to keep our jobs is just not fair.Its not our or employees fault its Quinn himself and regulator who pushed up premiums and seems to me the same has happened to Britton Insurance.So now I say to Britton Insurance bring down your premiums and SAVE JOBS before its too late and you lose customers like myself !!!!!!!!!!Already Ive found better quote on insure.ie

Shame on the insurance companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

patrickk wrote: »
    Have big problem with insurance companies .My car insurance last year with Britton was 280 euro with 1,000 euro excess.This year they've quoted me 480 euro .I have 5 years no claims proof .Its actually longer than that but cant get letter off company before that.So EXCUSE from insurance companies is oh premiums are up 33% .Well my income is down to 33% of what it was last year and I do suspect most people are in same boat as me also .So with way banks have screwed us this is another corrupt exploitation of the people .If I had claim in say for house insurance it would be scrutinised for months until it was passed .I just think insurance companies are unreal like I do sympathise with anyone who lost their job in Quinns but for staff to come and say insure with us to keep our jobs is just not fair.Its not our or employees fault its Quinn himself and regulator who pushed up premiums and seems to me the same has happened to Britton Insurance.So now I say to Britton Insurance bring down your premiums and SAVE JOBS before its too late and you lose customers like myself !!!!!!!!!!Already Ive found better quote on insure.ie

Shop around. They will all start to reduce their premiums when they are loosing business. I was with Brittons myself until April when they quoted me €760 for renewal, I ended up going with 123.ie for €637.

BTW Brittons are only brokers, they are not an insurance company. They play a small part in setting premiums.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they want to charge me 525 got more extras for 380
    i had had business cover with them and theat quote went from 500 to 750

i no longer use brittons , shop around

i'm with allianz now (oh had to stcik the other half on the insurance as a named driver to get it down to that :D )

did the same thing to me on the no claims seemed to make no difference to the qoutes once your at a certain level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Newsflash - insurance companies are businesses and want to make as much profit as they can get away with...

Just shop around, there are always a couple of companies undercutting the market to get volumes.

Why is it always such a big deal when insurers put prices up? Please don't reply 'cos we have to insure our cars - we have to eat too but we just shop around the food stores to find best value.

For the record, been with Britton with 2 cars for some years and always found them competitive - every renewal (for both cars) I make an extensive shop around. For father in law's car couple of weeks ago found Aviva were 50% cheaper though...

Your excess by the way is only in relation to damage to your own vehicle (the cost of which is limited in the contract) - the real cost to insurers is the unlimited imdemnity required to third parties you may collide with - it is this part of the premium which is probably getting more expensive and so no level of optional excess will lower premium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Couple of points -

Britton are only a broker.
    check the level of cover you are getting, not just the premium.
    Shop round.

ohhh, and you say re; your NCB "Its actually longer than that but cant get letter off company before that" - I'd sort that quickly if I were you - tell them you'll go to the new regulator if they don't give you what you rightfully earned. The insurance co's are mightly wary of the new regulator I can assue you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

by adding my wife on as a named driver on 123.ie my qoute went down by over 50 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1. Shop around

2. no one is forcing you to insure anything, its your own choice. They offer a service at a price and you can accept it and drive or not and don't. Its all part of the cost of motoring which everyone chooses to get into off their own bat.

3. Paragraphs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bennyc wrote: »
    by adding my wife on as a named driver on 123.ie my qoute went down by over 50 euro.

course it did...........and in the event of a claim, they can/will go after your wifes insure policy too. There's no such thing as a free lunch.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

patrickk wrote: »

Some points on your post

1) As someone said, Britton Insurances are brokers and do not set premiums
    2) Most Insurers will treat 5 years NCB as being the maximum on their scale and are unlikely to allow any further reduction, even if you get your full driving history
    3)Quinn, like him or loathe him, brought premiums down. Without Quinn in the picture, you just wait and see what is coming our way. He is the only one who kept manners on the others
    4) The Financial Regulator has not had an effect on premiums going up. In fact, if he didn't do his job properly, Insurers could go to the wall and levies on all premiums would have to increase to pay for it
    5)With regard to a house insurance claim, you used the word if, so how sure are you that a delay of months would ensue
    6)The rise in premiums is mainly down to the drop in investment returns Insurers used to get on the markets. They need to balance the books. It is not corruption.

Bottom line is shop around and give your business to the most competitive company. They deserve it for providing the best price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'm with britton myself and quote is €130 higher than last year, bringing it up to €500. I've 5 years ncb too lol. Cheapest quote I have got so far is €480 with insure.ie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Hi Folks thanks for all advice appreciate all comments .I'll keep shopping around thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement