Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand engine & Milage

Options
  • 13-05-2010 9:47am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    To cut a long story short (oil somehow managed to run low and despite re-filling it, the car broke down on motorway resulting in the engine being fecked) I had to get a replacement engine for my 03 Avensis.

The second hand engine has a different millage written on it to that on the computer, but thats not a major issue as the millage on the old one was high enough anyway and this still works out lower.

But when fitted, is there anyway of getting the millage on the car updated to show what it actually now is? From my understanding, the old millage remains the same and continues to clock up - without updating to the fact the engine has much lower millage now.

It also comes fitted with a cat. converter, which I discussed a few times in the past on here. The car was without a working one, still passing the NCT, and the EML light remained on. Efforts to replace it failed but the new engine comes with one, which I assume will address the issue if it works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

But the car itself has the original mileage, that's what needs to be tracked, not just the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lots of people advertise "mileage correction" (clocking) but in your case it would be legal. Mileage isn't just the engine in my opinion but the totality of the car but if the miles are so similar so be it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah fair enough, good point. Thought it was more with the engine then the car itself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You cannot know for sure that the true mileage is noted on the new engine, unless you saw it in the previous car. In fairness, they can write what they like.

Advertisement