Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating issue

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think my issue with food and eating is spiraling out of control, but I'm not sure what to do.

A few months ago, I became fixated with the idea that I was fat. I wasn't, I was never overweight, a size 8-10 and always a good eater.

I pretty much just stopped eating. In the beginning, I'd eat an apple a day, and every three or four days, I'd allow myself to have a bowl of cereal - but with no milk.

It became difficult because family and friends noticed how little I was eating. If we went out for a meal, I'd eat really slowly, try to only eat the vegetables on the plate, and never ever finish a meal.

I guess I stopped feeling hungry and the thought of food didn't appeal to me anymore, whereas I used to enjoy going out for a meal etc.

Cutting out food wasn't enough for me. I started exercising, literally hundreds of sit up's every day. Of course, the weight fell off me. I've no idea why, but it didn't make me happy.

My best friend became concerned and began to insist we eat together. He never directly said to me that he was worried I wasn't eating, just started coming around at meal times and cooking or bringing pizza and I couldn't refuse because I didn't want him to know.

The thought of putting on weight though, or having food inside me, I can't deal with it, so when he'd serve dinner, I'd go to the kitchen and take a few laxatives. I've now become addicted. If I'm in a situation where I have to eat, I'll take laxatives, then I won't eat at all for a few days.

The laxatives have been making me quite ill though, so obviously that isn't easy to hide either. I think I've realised that the fact I'm so concerned about hiding what I'm doing means it can't be okay. Not eating at all just is not okay.

I've no idea how I got here, why I thought I was fat in the beginning, and I need help. I need to know what to do because I can't eat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Sounds to me like the early stages of an eating disorder. Would you consider therapy? Also Bodywhys can offer support too www.bodywhys.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Start by going to your dr, get checked out and then consider contacting bodywhys.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi op, OMG i have been exactly where you are now. You have got to nip this in the bud now. There is a reason why you started this - and it sometimes has nothing to do with weight. More often it is to do with control. But then you become addicted.

I do not know what stage you are at - of anorexia that is - but the biggest complication here is that your body image will be askew. You will not see what others see when you look in the mirror. Also your negative mind will take total control over you.

When I was ill I lost my personality, friends, half my hair, now have osteopenia in my spine..

But I got better.. and you can too.

Start with your GP.

Take care - and do get help...

Advertisement