Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic verus Manual Bypass Valve.

• 13-05-2010 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

I think an automatic bypass valve on an oil heating system is the way to go.

My friend's plumber wants to fit a manual 'penny' valve and leave it a small bit open.

I think the way an automatic valve works is, it is fully closed when you don't need it and fully open when you do need it.

The manual valve is open a small bit when you don't need it ( I think this is inefficient ) and only open a small bit when you do need it. ( I think this isn't good enough pressure release ).

The only advantage I can see in having a manual one is, it will definitely work in some fashion if all other routes are closed off.

I don't know how reliable automatic bypass valves are, would it be OTT to fit 2 automatic bypass valves in parallel, in case one fails ?.
    Say if the system is pressurised to 1.5 bar, have one set to 2 bar and the other set to 2.25 bar.

I presume automatic bypass valves are set below 3 bar, so they will provide a return path before any 3 bar safety valves blow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

with due respect....what does the plumber think...

http://www.myson.co.uk/products/1207_1625_ENU_HTML.htm

This would be my choice.... if your worried you can fit a penny valve in line under it so if it fails you can just take it off and use the penny valve as you suggest however I have not seen too many fail, in fact out of 1000 i prob only saw one. However I did not do upgrades a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Satts wrote: »
    I think an automatic bypass valve on an oil heating system is the way to go.

My friend's plumber wants to fit a manual 'penny' valve and leave it a small bit open.

I think the way an automatic valve works is, it is fully closed when you don't need it and fully open when you do need it.

The manual valve is open a small bit when you don't need it ( I think this is inefficient ) and only open a small bit when you do need it. ( I think this isn't good enough pressure release ).

The only advantage I can see in having a manual one is, it will definitely work in some fashion if all other routes are closed off.

I don't know how reliable automatic bypass valves are, would it be OTT to fit 2 automatic bypass valves in parallel, in case one fails ?.
    Say if the system is pressurised to 1.5 bar, have one set to 2 bar and the other set to 2.25 bar.

I presume automatic bypass valves are set below 3 bar, so they will provide a return path before any 3 bar safety valves blow.

two would be OTT. A lot of oil boiler systems don't have pump overruns and would shut down as soon as power is lost to boiler. Expect to pay around €35 for vlave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

with due respect....what does the plumber think...

He thinks the penny valve is fine, " That's what all the lads are using ".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

two would be OTT. A lot of oil boiler systems don't have pump overruns and would shut down as soon as power is lost to boiler. Expect to pay around €35 for vlave.

It is one of the new efficient FireBird oil boilers.
    It has a switched live input and a permanent live input.
    It has a Frost Stat and pump over run built in.

I think when my friend is paying out to renew his system to a 3 zone system it is a shame to be wasting hot water every time the boiler is fired for the sake of a couple of quid.

Advertisement