Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street lights: who's responsible?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

There are several street lights that have gone off in the estate where I live (in Ballybofey), making things quite dangerous at nights. Three of those lights are in the street I live, and have gone off since last Christmas.

After some research, I found that some people had the issue resolved by contacting ESB, which I did in February this year.

After exchanging a few e-mails with the ESB crowd (pl@esbc.ie) and learning that they have transferred the responsibility to a company called "Airtricity" (airtricitypubliclighting@abtran.com or 1850-372-772), I'm still waiting, to this day, for the lights to be fixed.

I often see ESB trucks passing by, just wondering what's keeping them from coming up here to do the job which they are being paid for... Perhaps it's the fact I'm not an ESB customer?

Is anyone having the same problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There were 3 lights gone in our estate last year and they weren't fixed for over a year. I never complained or anything so dont really know how it works but I know theres a phone number on all street lights you can call for faulty lights. I have no idea who you're calling but it might be worth a shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

meanwhile we are paying a bunch of suits to watch the wind howl across the land. In the 1890's the new manager of the railway station at Fahan had a windmill installed. This powered the lights both inside and outside the station... (I read this on a plaque detailing the history of the Tavern while I was waiting for a table one night)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CWBS

Harps wrote: »
    but I know theres a phone number on all street lights you can call for faulty lights. I have no idea who you're calling but it might be worth a shot?

I read somewhere that the poles have ID numbers on them, so you can ring the company and tell them which ones are faulty. But I searched the poles and there isn't any ID (or even a phone number) in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,914 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In most cases you will find that the council have the responsibility for maintaining all the services in an estate.

When an estate is built privately the developer applies to the council for them to take over the maintenance of all common services in the estate. Most estates are "taken over" by the council and over the years they in turn then contracted out the responsibility for the lighting to the ESB.

However to cut costs they put this out to tender and Airtricity now have the responsibility for maintenance of street lighting on behalf of the council. If the estate is still under the management of the developer then you need to see him about the lighting. If not then just phone the number you have and if you get no satisfaction then take it up with your local councilor - thats what they are there for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

the estate i live in was built three years ago and they still haven't turned on the street lights :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    When an estate is built privately the developer applies to the council for them to take over the maintenance of all common services in the estate. Most estates are "taken over" by the council and over the years they in turn then contracted out the responsibility for the lighting to the ESB.

That must be just the case then. The estate was built around 10 years ago, and now they (council and developers) must be fighting each other over who will do the maintenance... meanwhile, we're still in the dark here.

Yesterday we rang 1850-372-772 again, they said they would definitely have the lights fixed in two weeks... fingers crossed.

If it doesn't work, I'll follow your suggestion and check with the council what's going on.

Thanks ;)

CWBS wrote: »
    ... meanwhile, we're still in the dark here.
    Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Some people deliberately knock out the lights if they are close to a bedroom window etc. It's quite easy done tbh (have done it meself as a kid :o)

Just an update. They (Airtricity) rang us back this morning, stating that they only maintain the street lights up to a certain house number (not publicizing anyone's address, of course), which is only a few steps away from our house...

I cannot quite understand that, why do they do only half the street, and leave the other half for someone else to do? It's something like, you go to an ophthalmologist and he/she says "Sorry, I can only treat your left eye, so you're gonna have to go somewhere else for your right eye".

But anyway, we rang the developers, and the attendant said they would look into the matter. Fingers crossed again.
    Pique wrote: »
    Some people deliberately knock out the lights if they are close to a bedroom window etc. It's quite easy done tbh (have done it meself as a kid :o)

Yes, we have quite a few vandals up here as well. But the lights, apart from not working, are otherwise intact.

Just an update. They (Airtricity) rang us back this morning, stating that they only maintain the street lights up to a certain house number (not publicizing anyone's address, of course), which is only a few steps away from our house...
    That is odd. Was the estate built in different stages originally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 169

If the estate is built in phases, the developer will request take-over of the public lights in phases also. OP, your house is prob in the list of estates/part estates to be taken over (lights only). Untill this process is completed, the developer is responsible and he/she should be reminded of their H&S duties.

muffler wrote: »
    That is odd. Was the estate built in different stages originally?
    169 wrote: »
    If the estate is built in phases, the developer will request take-over of the public lights in phases also. OP, your house is prob in the list of estates/part estates to be taken over (lights only). Untill this process is completed, the developer is responsible and he/she should be reminded of their H&S duties.

Yes, it was done in stages, and our house is among the group built in the last stage.

Now things are finally starting to make sense, and this not only answers my question, but gives me better understanding on how things work.

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful :)

On our estate there are three street lights not working.The contract has not been handed over to the council or Airtricity and the developer has gone bust due to the recession.What options are open to get these lights working,are the replacement bulbs/cells expensive and would Airtricity repair them on a payment basis from a resident?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I read somewhere that the poles have ID numbers on them, so you can ring the company and tell them which ones are faulty. But I searched the poles and there isn't any ID (or even a phone number) in any of them.

Could you not just ask him his name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Folks the thread is over 7 months old, replying and quoting someones posts from that far back is pointless, locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement