Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying over the odds without a care in the world.

Options
  • 13-05-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

There comes a point when you will pay anything to get your hands on a retro game or console that you want to own again. Have you paid way over the odds and what did you get? I paid £XXX on a sealed Turrican 2 for the A500. I absolutely love the game, always did. Am I daft - yeah .... but, that's what you do, isn't it??!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've dropped some hefty amounts on some items but they were never over the odds. Bargains all the way for me baby ;)

The closest I've probably come to it is that Sonic crackers proto. I think I paid about what it's currently worth. So not well over..but not well under either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I've probably some old games around, if either of you are looking for something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

To me stuff is just worth what I'm willing to pay for it. If I had more money I'd be willing to pay more, don't think I've ever paid "over the odds" for anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've dropped some hefty amounts on some items but they were never over the odds. Bargains all the way for me baby ;)

The closest I've probably come to it is that Sonic crackers proto. I think I paid about what it's currently worth. So not well over..but not well under either.
    You must be on of the lucky few that keeps their head screwed on ;) Mind you, the whole eBay mayhem can get people paying silly money, when an auction's running you have to deal with your own patience, desire, finance, competition and cunning all in the space of 30 odd seconds. Fellas can't do that, it's impossible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i think i must broke records in spending...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Listen to that man, he is the voice of reason when it comes to ebay! Hes converted me to really grabbing bargains

anyway, i dont think i ever got done on a game, I've paid mabye a few quid over the worth a few times, but I havnt spent "A hefty ammout" just yet :p

Master of the Universe

osprey wrote: »
    You must be on of the lucky few that keeps their head screwed on ;) Mind you, the whole eBay mayhem can get people paying silly money, when an auction's running you have to deal with your own patience, desire, finance, competition and cunning all in the space of 30 odd seconds. Fellas can't do that, it's impossible!
    Listen to that man, he is the voice of reason when it comes to ebay! Hes converted me to really grabbing bargains

The thing to realize is that there's more than one copy of the game out there in 99.999% of cases. If it's getting too expensive just bail out, you'll get it somewhere else eventually. Try to get enjoyment out of saving money. I know I do :)

The ones that get me though is when it's a one off. Only really experienced that with the Sonic crackers proto mind you..I face that problem a good bit more with comic art & animation cels. As they're all one offs. If you don't buy it you'll never be able to buy it again! There are a few pieces I really regret not buying..but they just got too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

anyway, i dont think i ever got done on a game, I've paid mabye a few quid over the worth a few times, but I havnt spent "A hefty ammout" just yet :p
    The more posts appear about this the more it seems I'm the one that needs some serious budgeting advice. :confused:

-

Master of the Universe

osprey wrote: »
    The more posts appear about this the more it seems I'm the one that needs some serious budgeting advice. :confused:

1 - research what the average price is for the game using ebays completed listings fuction

2 - try to get it for 20-30% less ;)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

-

Master of the Universe

Did you pay 130 euro for an MVS > AES converter? I did :(

In my defense though they retail at 250 dollars -

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/accessories-/super-mvs-convertor-ii-mvs-aes-blue-led-snmc-acc-detail.htm

nope,going down hard core route *without adaptor

Master of the Universe

You're insane :D

Give me a shout when you get Metal Slug AES so I can go over and drool.

I just remembered one thing I paid over the odds for. A JAMMA Megadrive. It was worth it though!

didnt one of ye said you have this down back of drawer lol
    gold-ninty-cart.jpg

Master of the Universe

The gold in my teeth is made from melted down World Championship carts*

*may not actually be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

If you want to pay over the odds without a care in the world then go to that shop on Talbot St and pay 15 Euro for Playstation 1 games, 25Euro for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic on Xbox or 15Euro for some Fifa games on Saturn.

The guy in there is on goo-goo land with his prices. Many of the previous gen games must've been traded in at a time when they were still available as they all have dust and dirt covering them. He also I don't think ever sells any of these games.

There's a few MD games WITH the hanging tag! I saw Alex Kidd in there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I bought the Samba de Amigo full box set. Twice. The first time was a clear scammer, I got my bid back, but lost about 40 odd on postage charges. The second time was about a year later and held my breath until it arrived. I've not played it once, preferring instead just to try and find a suitable spot, it's quite bulky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,116 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really loving this copy of stadium events. Best 40G I ever spent!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really loving this copy of stadium events. Best 40G I ever spent!

Meh I thought it was a bit sh*t so I threw out mine that I got in America. I bought 2 for some reason but threw out the other sealed one too.

TBH I rarely spend over €50 in any one games purchase, be it retro or modern. My last big purchase was possibly MW2 and an xbl sub when that came out and I can't remember before that.

What are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus really worth? I've been watching reviews and am kicking myself I never picked it up.

The Ebay listing prices and "sold for" prices seem comparible to one another
    http://completed.shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=ico&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=139973&_okw=ico&_oexkw=&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1

http://videogames.shop.ebay.ie/Games-/139973/i.html?_nkw=ico&_catref=1&_fln=1&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Is there any difference between the re-released ICO and the "limited edition" one other than the art cards?

Master of the Universe

Is there any difference between the re-released ICO and the "limited edition" one other than the art cards?

Nope. One comes in cardboard with art cards, the other in a clamshell.

The cardboard one is hard to find as it had a smallish print run.

Nope. One comes in cardboard with art cards, the other in a clamshell.

The cardboard one is hard to find as it had a smallish print run.
    So it's not really worth the MGS3 Subsistence-like prices ? ie. you're still getting the same game!

I do like special cases some times but with games the prices take the piss - extra fiver for a steelbook? F-off! DVD special cases are cool and all but with games rather than being an incentive to buy the game it's just an incentive to pay extra for the game.

I'm dying to play Ico. Kicking myself as I can remember seeing it on shelves years ago. Think I even saw that paper/slip-case one too in Gamestop 2nd hand. When did it become "super-extra-ultra rare!!@?|?@;'#" ?

Master of the Universe

SWhen did it become "super-extra-ultra rare!!@?|?@;'#" ?

As I mentioned, the original cardboard box version of ICO had a small print run. So it is actually rare. Not 'Super extra ultra rare!!!' though (No ps2 game really is)

When they published it, they thought it was just going to be an obscure game that nobody would buy. Turns out it's one of the best games on the console and there wasn't enough copies to go around. Therefore the prices for it shot up as there was a huge demand.

It was then rereleased in a clamshell case. I think the cardboard one dropped in value a bit, but it still does go for a few euro.

What are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus really worth? I've been watching reviews and am kicking myself I never picked it up.

The Ebay listing prices and "sold for" prices seem comparible to one another
    http://completed.shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=ico&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=139973&_okw=ico&_oexkw=&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1

http://videogames.shop.ebay.ie/Games-/139973/i.html?_nkw=ico&_catref=1&_fln=1&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Starting price of €30 here for here withthe art cards. It's mad to think that something as seemingly fical as art cards and a paper case can still apparently command high money in the age of jpegs and all that.

It looks like from the other auctions that sold, about 25-30 bob is the going price.

Master of the Universe

Ah you know, some people just like to have the original version of something. Be it original release of a game, first edition book etc.

Just had a look and some of the original copies of Ico are going for silly amounts aright. I sure wouldn't pay that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I've paid high amounts for games/consoles I just had to have now.. often choosing the "buy it now" option on ebay rather that waiting for an auction to end and aiming for a bargain. :o
    But I refuse to pay ridiculously high amounts....recently got a GB pocket .. and some were selling for 50 or 60 quid :eek:

34 copies of ICO on ebay.co.uk at the minute. Hardly that rare in fairness! I'd love for ebay to ban the use of such hyperbolic words :D

Oisin, what's a genuine decent price to aim for ICO? 20 Euro seems about average. There's been some that have gone for under a tener but I suppose that's just the bargain you get sometimes at the final auction time.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

34 copies of ICO on ebay.co.uk at the minute. Hardly that rare in fairness! I'd love for ebay to ban the use of such hyperbolic words :D

Oisin, what's a genuine decent price to aim for ICO? 20 Euro seems about average. There's been some that have gone for under a tener but I suppose that's just the bargain you get sometimes at the final auction time.

Yeah but most of them are probably the rerelease in the plastic clamshell. I did a search a couple of days ago and there were only three original cardboard versions.

If you just want to play the game and don't care if it's the rerelease then you should be able to get it for 20 euro no bother.

Advertisement