Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus running rough.

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

For the last 2-3 days my 99focus has been running rough, that is when I start the car it just sounds rough, like something isn't quite right but I haven't a clue what it may be.

There's been no loss of power or irregular revving or anything and everything seems to settle down once the engine has warmed up a bit. Its strange though and I googled around a bit and from the different stories I've seen it's looking like it'll need something replaced.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what may be going on or if there's anything I could check to try and figure out whats up with it, although I reckon it'll end up at the mechanics, costing me a small fortune.

Bah, there's always something with this car. Then again it is getting old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

The coil packs give trouble on them, also the washer jets are known to leak causing water to get down in around the plugs and leads , pull out the pulg leads and look for rust around the lead and down around the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Petrol or diesel OP ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

beam99 wrote: »
    The coil packs give trouble on them, also the washer jets are known to leak causing water to get down in around the plugs and leads , pull out the pulg leads and look for rust around the lead and down around the plug.

Is this a very difficult job? I have plenty of tools at my disposal so I could always take a look.
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Petrol or diesel OP ??
    Ah of course, its a 1.4litre petrol.

When you rough say is it like a rattle or screeching ?? Does the roughness go away when you rev, anotherwords is it only present when the car is idling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check for air leaks from hoses going to air filter. Clean the trottle body and MAF (mass air flow) sensor.

• Advertisement

When you rough say is it like a rattle or screeching ?? Does the roughness go away when you rev, anotherwords is it only present when the car is idling ?

I suppose its a sort of rattle when I rev (it's hard to describe though, it's like some component of the engine is encountering some sort of resistance), and when starting the car I get this rattling as well, its mainly noticable when idling or immediately after changing up a gear. Otherwise when driving there's nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The coil packs give trouble on them

Would one not expect the car to be sluggish I would have thought though if the coil pack was the culpurit

J2D2 wrote: »
    I suppose its a sort of rattle when I rev (it's hard to describe though, it's like some component of the engine is encountering some sort of resistance), and when starting the car I get this rattling as well, its mainly noticable when idling or immediately after changing up a gear. Otherwise when driving there's nothing unusual.
    Is there enough engine oil in the car ?

Is there enough engine oil in the car ?

I'll double check it, I checked it out a couple of weeks back and it was fine, I'll take a look anyway to be sure. Thanks.

Had a look just now, oil level is perfect. Engine still running the same though. Might take a look at the plugs next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The water leak issue is on the later models (2004+) Coil packs are notorious weak points on this car. Get it to someone with the correct diagnostic equipment to confirm.

If it is the coil pack, make sure to renew the spark plugs as well with genuine Ford ones (Motorcraft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

A "tinny" sort of a rattle - like a biscuit tin vibrating? (Most likely to be something related to exhaust)
    Or a light "tick-tick-ticking" that increases in speed with revs? (tappets/valves)
    Or a more substantial clunky sort of a noise internal to the engine?

How long, how many miles since last oil service?

All sorts of odd things can cause noise- some of the rubber bits under my bonnet had perished or moved, so the front of the bonnet would rattle against the chassis on cold mornings, sounded terrible but solved by cable tying some bits of bicycle inner tube on the bits that were making contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Is the engine management light coming on when you are driving?if so a "fault code" will be set in the ECU. You will then need to get this read.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Think my focus has a similar problem

If I let the car coast and the revs go down low, there is a loud clicking sound. It's actually embarrasing when pulling up somewhere, that's how loud it is!

Oil appears to be at correct levels but when I turn a sharp corner or roundabout the red oil light flashes on for a few seconds and goes off again.
    The orange electrical check engine light is on constantly too.

Just as well I've a new motor coming in month or so

Advertisement