Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caravan size

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hi all not sure am i in the right forum but, im thinking bringing the family to isle of man this summer. no ash affecting me :)the boat allows caravan up to 3 meters, but how big is the average caravan ? i have a avondale perle 4 berth. i could measure it but would have to the farm were i b=have it,. bit far cheers.. austin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The average caravan would be something between 4.5 - 6.5 meters overall length (including tow hitch) ...you wouldn't fit four berths into 3 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 10 austint

Thanks for the quick reply, I know the caravan is ok length wise its the hright restriction that is three meters, again I change from foot to meters back to euro and pounds i loose track :) i think Ill just bite the bullet and get the tape oout. Googled dimensions and all that, but only found some nice caravans for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

austint wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, I know the caravan is ok length wise its the hright restriction that is three meters, again I change from foot to meters back to euro and pounds i loose track :) i think Ill just bite the bullet and get the tape oout. Googled dimensions and all that, but only found some nice caravans for sale.

I was thinking alright that it must be height you had in mind. I'd say you're well under 3M (unless its an unusual dimension). You'd be lwell ower than a truck and you'll be entering with trucks and will be parked in the same deck as them so should be no problem.

Yea I would be thinking that way myself. I have no idead what the Isle of mann is like, I dont agree with what they do to the cats. I dont like cats anyway but that seems cruel:) anyone been there that could reccomend a site to stop on?
    I have to say the best bit of kit I got from a neighbour who has since died, A cast iron potbelly stove. I just prowel my local industrial a day befor my trip and feed it wood I have rescued. hours of endless chats and songs at that one class!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

austint wrote: »
    I have to say the best bit of kit I got from a neighbour who has since died, A cast iron potbelly stove.

That sounds great - & since its only wood you are burning you dont get "backyard burning" penalty points. So questions:

1. Have you ever seen them for sale?
    2. How big are they & do they weigh a ton (I'd say you'd need to be careful about securing them with the weight I'm thinking of)?
    3. Have you ever had objections from caravan site owners - most say strictly no fires but I guess thats due to safety (enclosed fire in a stove) and ashes/burnt ground (again self contained in stove)?

Any chance you could post a pic or pm one to me. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I cant upload from my phone sorry. Its about 2 foot tall cast iron on three legs. and has a chimney (you can even make traditional tea on it) a hole for loading wood in. A frined got one from dunnes but it was open the whole way round with a mesh so when the wind blew everyone got smoked. I have had mine in Killmuckarage Hidden Valley and north beach that I can remember, these sites are strict enough, never any complaints.Their a nice focal point in the evening when chilling out.

Advertisement