Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job-Seeker allowance for Students?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Might be a silly question but can students get the JA during the summer months there not in college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Can student get JA if they take a year out or do you have to drop out? Sorry for stealing the thread

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Can student get JA if they take a year out or do you have to drop out? Sorry for stealing the thread

not sure, but im sure theyed ask questions as to why you took a year out if you were only going to draw the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Swamps

Pretty sure you can receive jobseekers allowance during the summer months once you satisfy the usual requirements etc.

taking from welfare.ie
    • If you were previously getting an unemployment payment, the allowance is paid during the academic year only. It is not paid for the summer period between academic years.
    • BTEA participants who cannot find a job during the summer may claim an unemployment payment, but only if they satisfy the usual qualifying conditions.
    • If you are going on to the next year of your course or moving to a higher qualification, you will get your BTEA again from the start of the new academic year regardless of whether you got an unemployment payment for the summer.

Swamps wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can receive jobseekers allowance during the summer months once you satisfy the usual requirements etc.

taking from welfare.ie

yeah you can claim if you have been getting BTEA during college but you cannot claim if your a student not in receipt of the BTEA payment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭galteeboy

just wondering what the requirements are for a student who is applying for JSA who has finished their third level studies, do you have to wait 3 months before applying or can ya apply for it straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

galteeboy wrote: »
    just wondering what the requirements are for a student who is applying for JSA who has finished their third level studies, do you have to wait 3 months before applying or can ya apply for it straight away?
    I don't see why you shouldn't be able to sign on straight away, you're available for full-time work.
    I just finished my 1st year but have decided to not continue into second year, not planning on going into a different course in September so I think I'm illegible.

Advertisement