Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I get a landline without using eircom?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I really need some help here, I’ve tried everything and keep meeting a brick wall…
    My problem is really quite simple, I want to get a landline into the house for both calls and broadband…but I want to use Vodafone HomePhone as it appears to be the best price by far.
    There is a box on the wall, and it even has a dial tone, obviously when I try to make a call, a recorded message tells me to call Eircom Landline to be connected as the line is no longer in use, the previous owner took the number with them when they moved out.
    So I ring Vodafone and ask them nicely can I sign a contract to give them money every month… needless to say they were delighted with the prospect and set about connecting me up straight away. BUT…. Vodafone contacted Eircom to get them to activate the line and are told the line is not available. Eircom don’t have to give Vodafone a reason for this.
    So I contact Eircom and ask what the problem is. There is no problem, Eircom would be happy to activate the line for me if I sign up to a 12 month contract for homephone and broadband with them. I assured them I didn’t want to sign a contract, that I wanted to use Vodafone as my provider, to which the reply was that I should contact Vodafone and they would get eircom to activate the line… So I’m stuck….
    I rang ComReg thinking this can’t be right… I was under the false impression that as a consumer living within the EU I had the right to use which ever provider that I want. ComReg suggest I make a formal complaint to Eircom and if it situation wasn’t resolved within 10 days, they would follow it up… Eircom’s complaint’s department basically laughed at me… saying that it was up to Vodafone to make the complaint that I had nothing to do with it. When I talked to ComReg again they reckon there is nothing they can do to help. There are no regulations stating that eircom have to allow a line to be activated for another provider. It is a business to business agreement only... so has anyone got any suggestions, apart from the obvious "roll over and accept that Eircom are still a Monopoly, so sign up with them"??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You need to get some of this in writing. I would get the details of the site, officially complain to Eircom and get it emailed out to you that you have complained. Then get a case number. This number is what Comreg and Vodafone will use to follow it up.

Then get Vodafone to provide in writing that Eircom has refused to activate a line. Forget taking so customer cares word for it, they all hide behind the fact that you can never trace them. Get it all in writing.

Now what I suggest you do then after is email the relevent people (after gathering your paperwork) and simply say that you are in the process of contacting the large news papers to tell your story and I would also look into contacting the EU rights people.. Make a big fuss..

Now be honest with me here, how are you on the phone to these people? Are you too nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Op.

Quickest way of getting this done is

1. Ring eircom
    2. Tell them you want a home phone line [no contract with just home phone line]
    3. If they ask do you want a bundle, say no.
    4. When line is active and you can make and take calls, then transfer to Vodaphone.

The above is the quickest way of getting this done although, on principle, I'd try to make eircom hurt first as what you said is terrible practice.

Doing the above, you will probably have to pay eircom the first months line rental but it's a small price to pay to get up and running quickly.

Again, there is NO contract with JUST a phone line and phone service.
    IMPORTANT : DO NOT let them talk you into getting broadband or ANY bundle even talk bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

OP - is there wireless broadband available in your area?

If so, as an alternative, get VOIP installed instead. This is what we use at home and it works a treat. Basically what it means is, that you are using your internet connection for telephone service. You get a local telephone number, and it rings and you make calls exactly like a landline. But this is only an option if there is wireless broadband available to you.

This is the company that we are using - http://www.blueface.ie/residential.aspx

Have a good look around the VOIP forum for more info. - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

I hope this is of use to you OP. You are really stuck between a rock & a hard place. Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

+1 for Blueface and wireless [or UPC cable].

No landline costs. Works brilliantly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UPC also do phone lines in some areas.

dial 198000 / 199000 to see if it gives you a phone number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 boredwalk

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and sorry for not replying before now...an update for my progress...

FusionNet's suggestion of getting everything in writing seemed to be the best form of attack...I emailed and got an automated reply, and nothing followed afterwards.

RangeR's suggestion for asking for a phone with no contract...dead end I'm afraid. Since last November the rules have changed, Eircom can now force the customer to sign a contract for 6 months minimum for calls only or 12 months for calls & broadband

So I gave in this morning and signed up with Eircom, I need a phone! I shall have a working phone and broadband by this afternoon, so obviously there was nothing wrong with the line, they just won't let anyone else activate it. Needless to say I shall stay with them for the minimum 12 month period and move imediately, on principal, to any other network. I have already convinced my Parents to move from eircom and my brother is also in the process of doing the same. So at least eircom will be at a loss for having forced me into a contract!! I strongly urge anyone else who reads this thread to do the same.

Advertisement