Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any HDI experts on here

Options
  • 12-05-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I've a Dispatch HDI that of late has become difficult to start intermittently hot or cold.Can hear LP pump priming on ignition and no noise after from pump.Had a look around the engine and looks like one of the injectors is leeking a small bit.Would this cause the difficult starting?Once the engine is running it's driving fine.No warning light has come on.If it's the injector causing the problem would it cost much to put right.Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Certainly an injector leaking is not good on any diesel engine, especially a common rail engine! This might affect starting if it causes the pressure in the common rail to be below the minimum needed to start.

However in this instance, it could be a fuel filter or LP fuel pump issue. Personally, I'd get someone to look at live data and stored fault codes to see if there are issues with the rail pressure and take it from there.

Also, I seriously doubt if a glow plug issue would be to blame as DI engines only use them briefly in extreme cold.

No issues with compression in this engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Thanx for the reply,No compression test done,But she's driving fine with no signs of any smoke just the intermittant starting.She'll always starts but sometimes starts and die's a few times.I've been told the LP pumps do give hassle.I'm just worried about the injection system as i believe any work will be costly.Bring back the days of the good old Td engines without all this common rail stuff to go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

balcan wrote: »
    Thanx for the reply,No compression test done,But she's driving fine with no signs of any smoke just the intermittant starting.She'll always starts but sometimes starts and die's a few times.I've been told the LP pumps do give hassle.I'm just worried about the injection system as i believe any work will be costly.Bring back the days of the good old Td engines without all this common rail stuff to go wrong

Indeed the older stuff has a lot less to go wrong with it! Somehow I also think that the LP pump is the cause.....but don't hold me to that!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Lp intank pumps are a common a failure on the early hdi's,
    As shamwari said you will need livedata looked at when its trying to start and the hp pump should be putting our around 290 bar at idle.
    What year is your dispatch..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

balcan wrote: »

Is it making loud ticking sounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

As was said earlier, it is important to get live data looked at. There are too many possibilities, so dont just start replacing on a hunch. could get very expensive. Important to get an "injector leak off" test done as this will let you know if you have a faulty injector. Just one of the things that gives this problem.

Advertisement