Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to become a Mitra?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im a little annoyed over something that happened recently. I was attending a buddhist centre, studying the Darma with a group. I had to stop for a while due to work and not being able to make the meetings at the prescribed times. But my circumstances have changed a little and now Im available to rejoin the group. The problem is that I was told the other day by the group leader that the group is now mitra only. So if I wanted to be part of the study group I had to become a mitra.
    This seems very elitist to me. Somewhat controlling aswell. I mean If I was running such a group Id leave it up to the individual to decide if they wanted to become a mitra, not force their hand. Im trying to be understanding and see things from the other side but I just cant help but think this isnt right.
    What do you think, is this right, or is this a form of fascist buddhism?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hi there,

Though I can understand your feelings, I can also see it from the point of view of the Group Leader; becoming Mitra is probably one of the main targets for the course. Once attendees decide to become Mitra the emphasis of the class and its dynamics then change and begin to move in a different direction. MItra, or as is more commonly know "Taking Shelter" is nothing more than making a commitment to follow the precepts of Buddhism.
    This is very normal and I honestly do not see it as being in any way elitist. The course was probably set up to help people achieve this level of commitment

But of course this does not help you if you are undecided on if you wish to also become Mitra, and I wold urge you not to feel anger at this situation. As a teacher myself, I know the importance of a student making a commitment. It is only when that commitment has been made that I would feel comfortable concentrating my focus (class focus) on deepening levels of knowledge.

Moving on surly the center is running other course that you could join that would be of value to you now. You may well decide to become Mitra later:)

Here is some interesting information on Mitra. http://www.cambridgebuddhistcentre.com/resources/files/MitraBookletWeb.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Hi there,

Though I can understand your feelings, I can also see it from the point of view of the Group Leader; becoming Mitra is probably one of the main targets for the course. Once attendees decide to become Mitra the emphasis of the class and its dynamics then change and begin to move in a different direction. MItra, or as is more commonly know "Taking Shelter" is nothing more than making a commitment to follow the precepts of Buddhism.
    This is very normal and I honestly do not see it as being in any way elitist. The course was probably set up to help people achieve this level of commitment

But of course this does not help you if you are undecided on if you wish to also become Mitra, and I wold urge you not to feel anger at this situation. As a teacher myself, I know the importance of a student making a commitment. It is only when that commitment has been made that I would feel comfortable concentrating my focus (class focus) on deepening levels of knowledge.

Moving on surly the center is running other course that you could join that would be of value to you now. You may well decide to become Mitra later:)

Here is some interesting information on Mitra. http://www.cambridgebuddhistcentre.com/resources/files/MitraBookletWeb.pdf

Wise words, thank you. Im trying to see it from the groups leaders point of view but its difficult. I just dont see how a ceremony would change anything. As far as I can see its just window dressing. I know in my heart that I want to follow the Buddhist path, I dont see how a ceremony or a title would change that in any way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

tunguska wrote: »
    I know in my heart that I want to follow the Buddhist path

Surely the ceremony shouldn't be an obstacle. To my mind it sounds like a small 'sacrifice' to make in exchange for having the opportunity of following your hearts desire.
    C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I know this is an oldish conversation but for anyone contemplating joining this (or any other) group, it would be wise to follow the Buddha's advice and investigate carefully first.

For example, Dialogue Ireland has a piece on it here http://www.dialogueireland.org/dicontent/media/AnalysisofCriticisms.pdf

Those investigating Sogyal Rinpoche before joining Rigpa can find a piece about him on the site too.

I have no connection with Dialogue Ireland (or any particular Buddhist group - I am still investigating!) but I think it is very important to tread carefully and find out as much as you can before joining anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Namka

The OP makes me sad, it is obvious who this western buddhist group is.
    Please take the time to question the beliefs and the teachers of any group.
    Do they respect all traditions and religions?
    Are they working towards the benefit of all beings?
    Do they have a long history of teaching- "lineage"

After questioning and contemplation, if you are still unsure of the teachings or teachers you are embracing on a spiritual path I think it is better to distance yourself from them.

It took me over a decade to find the right teacher for me, but it was worth the journey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement