Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a miracle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

In plane crashes with a small number of survivors they are much more likely to be children or crew than adult passengers.

There are several reasons for this. With regard to children it is because they are smaller and weigh less, exposing less body area to being hit or crushed by the craft or other passengers. They also tend to be protected by adults. With regard to crew it is because they are normally seated at bulkheads and wear shoulder harnesses and are often in backward facing seats (safer in a crash)

Not saying it wasn't a miracle, but there are plenty of examples of plane crashes where the only people to survive were children and/or flight attendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

No. A miracle would be if they ALL had been removed from the plane as it was breaking up and delivered to the earth gently.

Why would God choose just one person to survive. If he did, why did he choose to let the rest die? There have been plenty of aircrashes where everybody died and others where no one died. Shit happens. Miracles don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

No. A miracle would be if they ALL had been removed from the plane as it was breaking up and delivered to the earth gently.

No. That would be proof God or some higher supernatural power or aliens with transporter and tractor beams exist.

In which case we should start worrying or praying real fast.
    Why would God choose just one person to survive. If he did, why did he choose to let the rest die? There have been plenty of aircrashes where everybody died and others where no one died. Shit happens. Miracles don't.

I'm sure God has His reasons.

Maybe we can call this a "minor miracle". The boy probably does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Not the crash but the fact that a young boy survived relatively unscathed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0512/libya.html

So Yahweh decided to save 1 out of how many people ? Yeah. Great miracle.

See even if your god existed, this is exactly why I wouldn't worship him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that it was a miraculous event.

• Advertisement

monosharp wrote: »
    So Yahweh decided to save 1 out of how many people ? Yeah. Great miracle.

See even if your god existed, this is exactly why I wouldn't worship him.

*Yawn* *yawn* *yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that it was a miraculous event.
    As opposed to what? What kind of evidence is there normally for a miraculous event?

MrP

In fairness, is there any evidence to suggest that any event is miraculous? I mean real evidence that would stand up to a thorough scientific investigation or that would be accepted in a court of law. I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Is it just me or does anyone else here feel that this forum is loaded with atheists as opposed to Christians? :confused:

No evidence for miracles is acceptable because miracles don't happen. Right?
    Onesimus wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else here feel that this forum is loaded with atheists as opposed to Christians? :confused:

It's not just you.

• Advertisement

No evidence for miracles is acceptable because miracles don't happen. Right?

Well the evidence would be acceptable if it could be proven. The problem for you is it can't be proven and has never been proven under proper scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

One person survives and this is a miracle? So you consider this to be a great occurence? Any thought for the 103 people that died? Is that a miracle too....

I find it amazing... A plane crashes and everyone survives and no notice is taken. (eg Air France Flight 358). A plane crashes and all passengers, bar one, die, and it's a miracle...

What happened is an anti-miracle... No ifs, no buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Well the evidence would be acceptable if it could be proven. The problem for you is it can't be proven and has never been proven under proper scrutiny.

A quote from David humes a famed atheist philosipher ''No event that is more miraculous than the miracle it seeks to discredit can be used as an explanation to deny that a miracle actually occured.''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭token56

Maybe he is unbreakable?

Onesimus wrote: »

They're on the war path again. Not that there is any link between atheism and violence of course :D

token56 wrote: »
    Maybe he is unbreakable?

Maybe evolution has produced a mutant indestructible

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stingray75

the only modern miracle is that people still believe in miracles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Another potentially interestiing thread is closed due to trolling.

What would be a miracle would be if we could actually discuss something on this board without them coming out from under their bridges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement