Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Exemption

Options
  • 12-05-2010 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

HI,

I have been living in Northern Ireland for 6 years and moved to Ireland in February this year. I purchased a new car in NI in june 09 and applied for VRT exemption having owned the car for more than 6 months. During that 6 month period I secunded by my Company in NI to work some days in ROI and travelled back to my home in NI on my days off. The VRT office has refused my VRT exemption application on the grounds that I have not been able to prove that I lived in the address in NI despite giving them bills for Sky, Broadband, Mobile phone, Bank Statements, Credit Card bills etc.

They have indicated that my bank statements dont show any transactions for grocery purchases (day-to-day living expenses as they called it) in the last three months of the 6 month period. I dont have any transactions on my statement for the last three months because I was spending more and more time in ROI at that time where I would have done my grocery shopping and because my employer in NI paid me in cash for my travelling expenses which meant I did not need to use my card. Unfortunately I dont have the receipts for the purchases I made in NI at that time as I never thought it would come to this.

Can anyone please advise me on what to do as the VRT on the car is 6000 euro which I just cant afford. Does anyone know a solution to this problem or know of some solicitor or accountant who has experience with these matters as I believe I have a good case??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As far as I know, the requirement is that you be living in the UK and using the car for the 6 months prior to importation - sounds like you weren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Cayden wrote: »
    Can anyone please advise me on what to do as the VRT on the car is 6000 euro which I just cant afford.

Sell the car in NI, then buy a car here.

Advertisement