Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

angus bull

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we can only dream:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

might look about getting straws off him, probably early days yet!
    Has anyone ever got AI straws-from England or further a field, say? and if so--is there much work/hazzle to it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

would the straws have to go thru some importation procedure in case of disease transfer maybe?? i suppose all the societies import straws so there must be a way..often wondered about all the fancy cattle brought in from France say, how is it done or do the cattle have to go into quarentine for a while??

was at a Angus Pedigree Sale in Dungannon...spring 2 years back!
    was a show+sale thing!
    Was a 4yr old cow(nice animal-with good breeding)had a small young bull calf at foot...
    Went through the ring,unsold at £850stg..tehn came back through-i bid on her then to £900stg, thinking she was good value..prob be what €1100 all (including costs)
    Was asked then by a man + a member of staff there,where i was from..said from Down South..Said oh sh*t...
    i was alerted then, that the animal in question,had to return to the vendors herd-be left there for 40 ish days isolated,tested and pass it--before i could get her!
    Also i'd have to pay for the test and From £1-£1.50 a day keep! so animal would end up costing me
    say Paid £900 + 40days @ £1.50 each per animal = £120 for keep + from £50-£70 for it to be tested..

So she would have ended up costing me £1100 stg, and alot of hazzle/time!

so i through her up--needless to say seller was upset!
    by the time i've have got her-she bevy late to put incalf...to blend with my other cows

When got home-i rang local vet,he said she would had to be tested down here also,on arrival & kept away from my own and other animals,until results were back..also was a lot of paperwork involved...

That was my situation...

have spoken to another fella(angus breeder)he bought a bull at same mart(pedigree Sale)..give £2250stg for him--didn't get him home for 52 days(breeding season was hampered)and ended up costing him nearly €3000 when all done+the bull was a shadow from what the day he bought him!has since killed him..he said never again!

I think its far easier for say--northerns or british people to buy cattle here--not as much red tape!

my rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...yeah, but a rant, others can learn a lot from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

would the straws have to go thru some importation procedure in case of disease transfer maybe?? i suppose all the societies import straws so there must be a way..often wondered about all the fancy cattle brought in from France say, how is it done or do the cattle have to go into quarentine for a while??

cant imagine thier are many bugs living in a can of liquid nitrogen at minus 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i'm sure they are screened or something before going in to the liquid nitrogen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

trust me the papper work with straws is a head-ache. not so much for the farmer but the collection centers.

If importing straws you need to get them sent to an aproved center, an AI centre in other words - NCBC, Bova, Eurogene or Dovea. you have to pay for straws+transport+vets fees for health papers+ handling fees from the AI center for dealing with paperwork

might be worth ringing beef advisiors from the centers and seeing if they intend to imoprt any straws themselves.

might be worth asking Powerful genetics either. They are mainly limosine AI but philip crowe has brought in blue semen recently. If he thought there was a market he might be interested. It will be a few months before that bull has gone through quarintine and can be jumped and then its 30 days before he is fit for export and thats if he freezes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

he's a fine bull but 75,00gns?
    thats silly money for an animal that could break its leg tomorrow

to true...but he be insured for double that--i'd say

• Advertisement
Advertisement