Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flymageddon

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct board for help. There seems to be something of an infestation of flies out my back garden at the moment. They are strange in that they dont fly away and am finding them all over my rear window. They also cover the back walls of the terrace im on. The estate is new and not 100% finished with some sites, building materials and standing water about the area.

Horrible bastards. Any idea what they are?

flyo.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They could be flying ants. Ants sprout wings around this time every year in order to find new places to nest. That's how they get into your house so be careful if that's what they turn out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Not an expert on flies by any means, but that looks like 'St Mark's fly' - scientific name Bibio marci - to me.

http://www.pbase.com/phil_satch/image/67847092

Common name is apparently due to the emergence of adults in large numbers around Sanit Mark's day, April 25th. A common fly, swarming in large numbers seems to be typical of the species

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Spot on it seems velvet, thx.

Advertisement